James specialises in commercial and insurance disputes, construction, and professional negligence claims. He regularly appears in the High Court (mainly the TCC and Commercial Court) as sole counsel or as part of a larger team. He has also been led in the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court.
James is recommended as a Leading junior in the 2019 edition of Legal 500 in insurance and reinsurance and professional negligence.
Before joining Chambers James read Jurisprudence at Somerville College, University of Oxford and was then a research assistant in the Commercial and Common Law Team at the Law Commission during which time he was involved in the passage of the Third Parties (Rights against Insurers) Act 2010 and then the Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act 2012. As a result of this experience he has particular knowledge of insurance law and the insurance industry. During this time, he also taught contract and tort law at Queen Mary, University of London and Westminster University.
James is a contributing author of Emden on Construction Law and has co-written two chapters: “Bonds and Guarantees” (with Ben Quiney QC) and “Contractor’s Obligations as to Completion” (with David Myhill).
He is also a contributing author to Westlaw Insight on the Third Parties (Rights against Insurers) Acts.View full profile »
- Covid-19: Business Interruption insurance, an FCA class action, and the long-tail risks to insurance brokers
- The Supreme Court provides clarity on causation in professional negligence claims
- Solicitors obtain summary judgment and strike out of a claim by a litigation funder
- Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea defend long running subsidence claim
- Walter Wigglesworth Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn (2011)
- European Commission Scholarship (unable to accept), Lincoln’s Inn (2009)
- Blackstone’s Mooting Competition (finalist) (2009)
- BVC, City Law School (2008 – 2009)
- Hardwicke Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn (2007)
- BA (Hons) Jurisprudence, Somerville College, University of Oxford (2004 – 2007)
“He fights his cases assertively and effectively”
(Legal 500, 2020)
“Both detailed and excellent technically”
(Legal 500, 2018)
“Clear written opinions”
(Legal 500, 2018)