Construction & Engineering
James has wide experience in construction disputes including trial work in the TCC as well as arbitrations and adjudications. He has dealt with cases for both employers and contractors.
James also has experience in cases involving construction professionals. The cases that he has been involved in have included allegations against professionals including architects and quantity surveyors. James has experience of most standard form contracts, including JCT, ICE, NEC, FIDICC.
- Acting (with Crispin Winser) in a complex Party Wall Act dispute arising out of a basement conversion in Chelsea.
- Acting (with Andrew Rigney QC) in a multi-million pound subrogated claim arising out of a large fire.
- Acting in a party wall dispute which also concerns a claim to a right to light.
- Acted for homeowners against surveyors over an alleged failure to detect damp which successfully settled on confidential terms.
- Howmet v EDL  B.L.R. 555;  EWCA Civ 847 – (with Ben Quiney QC) in Court of Appeal acting for a factory owner in a recovery action resulting from a serious fire that causes £24m losses arising from an alleged failure of failsafe devices (instructed by RPC). James also appeared in the first instance in a 3-week trial in the TCC (157 Con. L.R. 1;  EWHC 3933 (TCC)).
- Gittins v A-Consult Ltd (TCC): acted for the employer against the designer of an anaerobic digester tank following the collapse of an internal concrete wall which led to business interruption losses. Settled shortly before it was due to be heard for 5 days by the TCC in July 2018 (instructed by Clyde & Co).
- The Supreme Court provides clarity on causation in professional negligence claims
- Perry v Raleys Solicitors – Permission to appeal to the Supreme Court is granted
- James Sharpe successfully defends flooding claim
- Very late amendments refused by the Commercial Court: BAGA v PSL & Ors
- Walter Wigglesworth Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn (2011)
- European Commission Scholarship (unable to accept), Lincoln’s Inn (2009)
- Blackstone’s Mooting Competition (finalist) (2009)
- BVC, City Law School (2008 – 2009)
- Hardwicke Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn (2007)
- BA (Hons) Jurisprudence, Somerville College, University of Oxford (2004 – 2007)