James is regularly instructed in commercial matters involving sale of goods, supply of goods and services, bailment and agency; as well as claims arising out of SPAs, joint venture agreements, commission agreements, franchise agreements and agency agreements. James also often acts in respect of agreements between insurers and/or insurance brokers. James also has experience of obtaining injunctions (interim and freezing) at short notice.
- Confidential arbitration: (with Daniel Shapiro QC) acting on behalf of a bank in relation to a €80million claim made against it for its role as depositary of a fund.
- Belmont Farms v Duynie – (with David Elvin QC) in the Commercial Court acting for a supplier in a £10 million claim arising out of the sale of contaminated animal feed (instructed by CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang LLP).
- Chalfin -v- PIB – (with Ben Quiney QC) acting on behalf of insurance brokers in a Commercial Court claim.
- Acted in respect of a SPA dispute following the purchase of a Lloyd’s managing agency (with Mark Cawson QC and Daniel Shapiro, instructed by CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang LLP).
- Advising a company in respect to its use of information purchased from another company in circumstances where a third party is claiming that information is confidential to them instructed by CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang LLP).
- Defended a franchisee against claims in debt and counterclaiming for damages for negligent misstatement / misrepresentation. The case involved a number of technical arguments relating to the incorporation and construction of various non-reliance clauses (with Jason Evans-Tovey).
- Brit UW Ltd v F & B Trenchless Ltd  Lloyd’s Rep IR 69;  EWHC 2237 – Comm acted for the insured tunnelling contractor where insurers were seeking to avoid their public liability insurance (with Daniel Shapiro).
- Global Draw v IGT (2015) – In the Commercial Court acting for a vendor of a video gaming company in respect of various claims arising out of a share purchase agreement. The claim was valued at over £50 million and settled after one week of trial on confidential terms. Between January and May, James worked almost exclusively on this matter assisting with disclosure, witness statements and preparing applications for specific disclosure (with Christopher Butcher QC and Daniel Shapiro).
- British Amateur Gymnastics Association v (1) Zurich (2) Brit (3) Perkins Slade Limited (with Ben Quiney QC). Acting for Third Defendant in Commercial Court claim concerning a dispute between an insured, two insurers and brokers. The case raises points regarding insurance brokers’ duty of care in negligence and contract as well as in relation to the doctrines of waiver, estoppel and rectification (instructed by Mills & Reeve).
- (with Ben Quiney QC) Instructed on behalf of a firm of insurance brokers to defend a £4m claim alleging that it had failed to properly assess the client’s insurance needs resulting in significant underinsurance following a catastrophic flood (instructed by Carter Perry Bailey).
- Covid-19: Business Interruption insurance, an FCA class action, and the long-tail risks to insurance brokers
- The Supreme Court provides clarity on causation in professional negligence claims
- Solicitors obtain summary judgment and strike out of a claim by a litigation funder
- Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea defend long running subsidence claim
- Walter Wigglesworth Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn (2011)
- European Commission Scholarship (unable to accept), Lincoln’s Inn (2009)
- Blackstone’s Mooting Competition (finalist) (2009)
- BVC, City Law School (2008 – 2009)
- Hardwicke Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn (2007)
- BA (Hons) Jurisprudence, Somerville College, University of Oxford (2004 – 2007)
“He has all of the relevant precedents at the forefront of his mind. Presents well to professional and insurer clients and is a reassuring sounding board on complex issues.”
Legal 500, 2021
“Does a good and detailed job, with sound judgement and common sense. A true all-rounder, who is bright, personable and commercial – a great asset to any team!”
Legal 500, 2021
“He fights his cases assertively and effectively”
Legal 500, 2020
“Both detailed and excellent technically”
Legal 500, 2018
“Clear written opinions”
Legal 500, 2018