Inquests & Public Inquiries
Jack has a specialist inquest law practice. He has acted as sole counsel in several complex multi-day jury inquests opposite more senior counsel.
He is instructed by national and international healthcare providers, construction and infrastructure companies, public bodies, and families. He has expertise regarding deaths in healthcare or custody; unlawful killing, including cases held after the Supreme Court decision in Maughan; cases with HSE or Police involvement; and Article 2 ECHR inquests.
Selected work includes:
- Acting for the former operators of the Manchester Metrolink tram system in a sensitive inquest involving the death of a young man following a cardiac arrest, suffered during a contentious physical restraint performed on him by four Metrolink contractors in central Manchester. This was one of the first cases concerned with unlawful killing and the lowered standard of proof following Maughan. Jack’s submissions on the application of Article 2 ECHR and his client’s work policies were accepted by the Senior Coroner, and no adverse findings were made in regards to his client at the conclusion of the inquest. The case attracted national media coverage: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-56203332
- A complex 1-week jury inquest involving several linked diving deaths off the Kent coast;
- A 1-week inquest concerned with the drowning of the user of a bath hoist, in which Jack acted for the hoist servicing provider that had serviced the hoist one month previously. No adverse findings were made against the servicing provider;
- A 4-week inquest for the London Ambulance Service;
- A 2-week prison death inquest for the custody and transport contractor GeoAmey, concerned with the management of drug and alcohol withdrawal; as well as another 2-week prison death inquest for the same client, involving suicide.
He has also been instructed in relation to the Grenfell Tower Inquiry, in relation to which he was led by Keith Morton QC and Adrian Darbishire QC.
His criminal regulatory and personal injury work compliments his inquests practice.
Selected CasesView full profile »
- Chambers is delighted to announce that two members have been appointed to the Attorney General’s London Panel of Counsel
- Criminal Regulatory & Environmental Manchester Drinks Party
- Lincoln’s Inn Denning, Bowen & Hardwicke Scholarships
- BPTC, City Law School
- GDL, City University
- BA Hons (Oxon)