Construction & Engineering
Jack is developing a construction practice in line with Chambers’ expertise. He has provided advice and drafted pleadings in relation to several disputes involving alleged non-performance of contractual obligations and defective workmanship during the construction phase of projects. He is a member of the Society of Construction Lawyers.
A significant portion of Jack’s professional negligence practice involves construction professionals, with recent work including: Advised and drafted pleadings in a case concerning the alleged negligence of a product designer, who was contracted to provide prototype-stage CAD data; acting for an engineer in a case concerning alleged negligent gas installation; and advising an engineering firm in relation to the alleged negligent commissioning of an air-conditioning system in a large London office building, in proceedings involving claims for contractual delay damages and loss of earnings.
Recent work has included:
- Assisting on an international arbitration concerning delay to a major East African infrastructure project.
- Advising on the applicability of NEC3 indemnity clauses in a multi-party dispute between parties in a chain of construction contracts, and drafting contribution notices.
- Advising an engineering firm on the enforceability of an adjudication clause and the prospects of successfully restoring a discontinued claim on the basis of being misled by another party.
- Drafting pleadings on behalf of the homeowner and client in a claim for unpaid fees in connection with a £400,000+ residential renovation project, and advising on the applicability of FMB payment clauses.
- Advising a local authority’s planning department on the prospects of a limitation defence in a latent defect claim.
- Criminal Regulatory & Environmental Manchester Drinks Party
- Jack Murphy successfully acted on behalf of the family at an Inquest
- Lincoln’s Inn Denning, Bowen & Hardwicke Scholarships
- BPTC, City Law School
- GDL, City University
- BA Hons (Oxon)