Jack’s experience includes:
- Glenluce Fishing Co v Watermota  EWHC 1807 (TCC), a dispute over the fitness for purpose of a marine diesel engine. The case gave rise to a novel dispute concerning the interaction between the rules on payment of court fees and the provisions of the Limitation Act 1980.
- A TCC case in Liverpool arising out of the collapse of a wall on neighbouring land due to lateral pressure exerted by the defendant’s land; the defendant in turn claimed against a third party which provided a geoenvironmental engineering report on the land which (allegedly) negligently failed to identify the risk to the wall. The client achieved a very favourable settlement.
- Sole counsel for the defendant security company in a six-figure claim for property damage following a series of criminal incidents at the claimant’s car showrooms. The case settled for less than half its pleaded value.
- Smith & ors v South Eastern Power Networks  EWHC 2541 (TCC): junior (to Michael Kent QC and Simon Howarth) for the Claimants in a series of test cases determining the liability of the electricity distribution industry for fires caused by overheating mains cut-out fuses.
- Advising and drafting proceedings in fire, flood, and other property damage cases, arising from a variety of causes including defective electrical equipment, domestic appliances, inadequately made plumbing, and tradesmen’s works.
- Disputes over insurance coverage and non-disclosure.
- Construction cases, including party wall disputes and cases of defective workmanship by contractors and sub-contractors.
- Pro bono representation of a retired claimant whose investment property required substantial repair work following a hopelessly negligent attempt at a loft conversion.
Selected CasesView full profile »
- Case insight on Patel: fundamental dishonesty and section 57
- Jack Macaulay considers 2 new high court authorities that demonstrate the willingness of the courts to dismiss personal injury claims
- Jack Macaulay successfully defeats novel limitation argument
- Jack Macaulay secures exceptions to the QOCS regime
- LLB, Law with European Legal Studies (First Class) King’s College London, 2003-7
- ERASMUS year at Uppsala University, Sweden, 2005-6
- LLM (Cantab) 2007-8
- BVC (Very Competent) BPP London, 2008-9
Lord Denning Scholar, Lincoln’s Inn
Languages: French (Intermediate), Swedish (Basic)