Jack enjoys the particular medical and scientific challenges posed by clinical negligence litigation. He acts for the NHS, medical defence organisations, and claimants. His experience covers cases of:
- Mis/delayed diagnosis
- Inadequate consent
- Injuries caused by or in the course of surgery
- Obstetric/birth injuries
- Inadequate nursing care, leading to e.g. pressure sores
Jack’s recent cases include:
- A claim arising out of negligent treatment of the claimant’s breast cancer, as a result of which the cancer recurred. Jack’s client, the MPS, represented the histopathologist, who had failed to identify that the surgeon had not obtained clear margins around the tumour. The claimant was represented by leading counsel and sought damages against the surgeon, Jack’s client, and the NHS trust. A satisfactory settlement was eventually achieved at a hard-fought virtual JSM.
- Fryatt v Nottingham Forest FC. Jack acted for the well-known football club at the interlocutory stages of a claim by one of its former players, who alleged that the club’s doctors and medical staff failed to manage his ankle injury, resulting in the premature end of his career.
- A case of alleged injury to the mother caused by the use of forceps during delivery, requiring the input of both obstetric and surgical experts.
Selected CasesView full profile »
- Case insight on Patel: fundamental dishonesty and section 57
- Jack Macaulay considers 2 new high court authorities that demonstrate the willingness of the courts to dismiss personal injury claims
- Jack Macaulay successfully defeats novel limitation argument
- Jack Macaulay secures exceptions to the QOCS regime
- LLB, Law with European Legal Studies (First Class) King’s College London, 2003-7
- ERASMUS year at Uppsala University, Sweden, 2005-6
- LLM (Cantab) 2007-8
- BVC (Very Competent) BPP London, 2008-9
Lord Denning Scholar, Lincoln’s Inn
Languages: French (intermediate), Spanish (improving), Swedish (basic)