Isabel is regularly instructed in property damage claims for trespass, nuisance and negligence. Cases have included chemical contamination, flood, fire, collision, tree root trespass and damage occurring during construction works.
- Advising the government on a claim arising out of extensive damage caused to listed buildings in central London during a programme of renovation works due to the collapse of machinery.
- GE Energy Power Conversion UK Ltd v Anixter Ltd and Cooper & Turner Distribution Ltd and Clyde Fasteners Ltd (TCC listed for trial 2018) – Acting for 4th party manufacturer of components which allegedly failed in generators manufactured by GE for use in the oil and gas industry causing extensive damage to the generators. Issues of traceability of the components through the contractual chain and cause of failure.
- Highways England Company Limited v (1) B.G Rodwell Limited (2) Robert Cheadle (3) Allianz Insurance – EWCH 118 (QB) (recently settled). – Acting for Highways England to recover c £1/2m for damage to a bridge over the A14 caused by a bridge strike against the lorry driver, his employer and road traffic insurer. Instructed after issue of proceedings, successfully resisting an application to strike out the claim and obtaining a settlement.
- Fulwood (& 24 Others) v Secretary of State for the Department for Energy & Climate Change, Walsall Metropolitan Borough Council & Others – Acting for a local authority defending action by residents alleging breach of duties in connection with dismantling of gas works and the reclamation of the site on which their properties were built. Claims include alleged damage to property and environmental pollution (recently settled QBD).
- Network Rail v Handy et al  EWHC 1175 (TCC) – Test case concerning the scope of damages payable to Network Rail by drivers causing line incursions or bridge strikes. Isabel was previously instructed in Conarken Group Ltd v Network Rail Infrastructure Ltd on the application to the Supreme Court for permission to appeal from the decision of the Court of Appeal ;  EWCA Civ 644;  1 All E.R. (Comm) 692;  2 C.L.C. 1;  B.L.R. 462;
- Thames Water Utilities Limited v Viridor Waste (Thames) Limited – Acted for Viridor defending a multi-million pound claim for chemical contamination of a sewage treatment plant and pollution of a drinking water supply and bringing a cross-claim for damages for breach of contract. Five disciplines of expert were involved, including hydrologists, biochemists and surveyors specialising in the construction and operation of sewage treatment plants. Isabel acted from pre action until settlement following mediation.
- Isabel Hitching & Daniel Shapiro are appointed Queen’s Counsel
- Isabel Hitching, led by Anneliese Day QC, wins for Highways England in M25 dispute
- Lord Justice Sachs Scholarship, Middle Temple
- Queen Mother Scholarship, Middle Temple
- BCL, Christ Church, Oxford
- MA (First Class), Christ Church, Oxford
- Attorney General’s Treasury Panel
- Bar Standards Board Equality & Diversity Committee (Past member)
- Bar Standards Board Qualifications Committee (Past Vice-chair)
- Commercial Bar Association
- London Common Law & Commercial Bar Association
- Society of Construction Law (Past committee member)
- Technology & Construction Bar Association (Past committee member)
- Joint editor of Emden’s Construction Law
“A first-class senior junior and a superb tactician, who is masterly with the game plan.”
(Legal 500 2017)
“A highly intelligent and practical barrister.”
(Chambers & Partners 2015)