Isabel Hitching is a specialist in commercial, construction and engineering, and related insurance, professional negligence and property damage fields.
Isabel is known for combining intellectual rigour with a team working and commercial approach, identifying an effective strategy to achieve the best for her clients whether at trial or in mediation and negotiation.
Isabel undertakes frequent trial work in the High Court and is regularly instructed in adjudications and arbitrations. She is known for her ability to analyse and marshal vast disclosure and work effectively with multi-disciplinary teams of experts.
Prior to taking silk Isabel was the most senior commercial/construction specialist on the Attorney General’s panel and acted for the government in a large number of high value (up to £300m), factually complex and politically sensitive disputes. Isabel continues to act for the government as Queen’s Counsel as well as for insurers and private clients.
With her academic background as a lecturer at Christ Church, Oxford, Isabel is frequently instructed in cases raising novel or complex points of law. She has been involved in a number of test cases at first instance as well as in the Court of Appeal, the House of Lords, Supreme Court and European Court of Justice, including the first case to be decided in the Supreme Court on adjudication. She is currently instructed as the leader on a number of ‘portfolio’ test cases for insurers and the government.View full profile »
- Isabel Hitching & Daniel Shapiro are appointed Queen’s Counsel
- Isabel Hitching, led by Anneliese Day QC, wins for Highways England in M25 dispute
- MA (First Class), Christ Church, Oxford
- BCL, Christ Church, Oxford
- Lord Justice Sachs Scholarship, Middle Temple
- Queen Mother Scholarship, Middle Temple
- Inns of Court Studentship
- Commercial Bar Association
- London Common Law & Commercial Bar Association
- Society of Construction Law (and past committee member)
- Technology & Construction Bar Association ( and past committee member)
- Joint editor of Emden’s Construction Law
- Former member of Attorney General’s Treasury Panel. Continues to act for government as silk.
- Past member of Bar Standards Board Equality & Diversity Committee
- Past member and vice-chair of Bar Standards Board Qualifications Committee
“A superb tactician, who is masterly with the game plan.”
“An extremely competent tactician who provides very strong strategy.”
“She has an awesome intellect and always examines issues from all angles”
“A highly intelligent and practical barrister.”
(Chambers & Partners)