Helen has an extensive clinical negligence practice and represents both Claimants and Defendants (NHS and individuals in private practice). Helen is happy to accept cases on a CFA.
Recent cases Helen has been involved in include:
- NS (Minor) – advising and obtaining settlement for a family where a 5 year old boy was negligently discharged by a hospital when suffering a sickle cell crisis. The child sadly died 48 hours later.
- NB – advising and obtaining settlement in a case of missed Os Acromiale of the shoulder.
- JW – advising and obtaining settlement in a case where there was a delay in diagnosing the Deceased’s lung cancer.
Helen has several ongoing case including:
- incorrectly performed gynaecological surgery;
- failure to obtain informed consent before procedures; and
- inadequate district nursing care for pressure sores.
Helen has an extensive Defendant practice. Recent cases she has been involved in include:
- SK (unreported) – Successfully striking out a case brought by a prisoner for alleged delay in diagnosing his COPD.
- SL – Claim arising out of a minor injury to the bile duct during a cholecystectomy. In this pre-QOCS matter, Helen represented the NHS Trust where the surgery was performed. Helen advised that this matter should be defended. Helen represented the Trust at various interlocutory matters. A week before trial the Claimant discontinued.
- Helen is currently instructed by the NHS in an obstetric case, where the costs of surrogacy are pursued by the Claimant.
- Helen is also currently instructed by the NHS in a multi-million pound cauda equina case.
- Drafting pleadings, attending interlocutory hearings, advising and attendance in conference in cases involving the following allegations:
- Failure to diagnose/delay in diagnosing cancer: including cervical cancer, colon cancer, breast cancer and lung cancer
- Mental health: failure to prevent suicide
- Obstetric care: failing to induce/perform a c-section earlier, incorrectly performing a c-section, failing to manage an ectopic pregnancy correctly and failure to plan and manage placenta accreta
- Nursing care: alleged failures in nursing care in respect of pressure sores
- Orthopaedic cases: failing to manage nerve damage following hip surgery, failing to diagnose and/or treat fractures appropriately and incorrectly performed spinal surgery
- Bariatric surgery: failing to consent a Claimant before a procedure and negligently performed surgery
- Physiotherapy: failing to put in place appropriate care plans and carry out a sufficient risk assessment before commencing physiotherapy
- Vascular surgery: failing to obtain informed consent and failure to manage post-surgery complications, including DVTs.
- General surgery: failing to diagnose and treat sepsis sooner, failure to diagnose and treat a perforated bowel sooner, failure to follow surgeons advice post-surgery and failure to remove all of the appendix during an appendectomy
- Plastic surgery: including failure to obtain informed consent, failure to perform biopsies prior to surgery and negligently performed surgery
- Abuse: including failure to treat a patient who had suffered Satanic Ritual Abuse appropriately
Selected CasesView full profile »
- 2007 – 2008 – BVC (Very Competent) Inner Temple Exhibition
- 2006 – 2007 – GDL (Commendation)
- 2005 – 2006 – Probationary Research Student (History of Medicine) University of Oxford Thomas Linacre Studentship
- 2004 – 2005 – MA Philosophy (HPSM) (Distinction) (Dunelm) MA Wellcome Trust Studentship
- 2001 – 2004 – BSc (Hons) Natural Sciences (1st Class) (Dunelm)
Member of PIBA