Construction & Engineering
Hamish’s experience in this area is complemented by his exposure to insurance disputes, professional negligence claims against engineers and surveyors, and employers’ liability claims in the context of construction contractors.
Examples of Hamish’s work in this area include:
- Preparing a defence and advice on behalf of a construction company who had allegedly sprayed concrete onto a neighbouring companies’ property causing damage.
- Acting for a contractor in relation to a dispute arising out of the construction of a residential extension.
Whilst on pupillage:
- Preparing an advice in relation to a claim brought by Network Rail against structural engineers after improvements works allegedly caused a landslip which derailed a train causing substantial damage and serious personal injury. Valued at supra. £10 million.
- Preparing advice on the contractual interpretation of a major infrastructure contract awarded by the City of Westminster council in relation to a dispute over the value of the work completed.
- Written advice in relation to a claim brought by Network Rail against an adjacent property owner after sludge spilled onto the railway causing circa £1m of damage and disruption.
Selected CasesView full profile »
- Buchanan Prize for outstanding performance on the BPTC (Lincoln’s Inn, 2020)
- Advocacy Scholarship (BPP, 2019)
- Tancred Scholarship (Lincoln’s Inn, 2019)
- Winner, the Crowther Shield for public speaking (Lincoln’s Inn, 2019)
- Winner, the Crown Office Mooting Competition (2018)
- The Janet Quigley Prize for Middle English studies (Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford, 2016)
- BPTC (Outstanding), BPP
- GDL (Distinction), City University
- English Language & Literature (First Class), University of Oxford