Inquests & Public Inquiries
Gemma appears at lengthy and complex inquests, including jury inquests concerning the right to life. She has advised and represented bereaved families, individuals, statutory bodies, and corporate entities in cases covering a vast range of complex legal and factual issues. She often advises and represent parties through all stages of the civil litigation that can often follow an inquest.
She has advised and represented clients in connection with health and safety matters such as an explosion on a ship, fatal accidents in factories, a death in a lift shaft and mesothelioma claims.
Examples of recent work:
- Acted for a lift engineering company at a 5-day jury inquest following the death of a man in a residential lift shaft. The case was extremely sensitive due to the nature of the death and the family circumstances, with HSE involvement in the background.
- Instructed in a 5-day jury inquest to represent the family of a deceased navy officer following an explosion on a ship.
- Acting for the family of a man who died following the incorrect insertion of a gastric feeding tube at Hospital. Gemma was instrumental in gaining a narrative verdict for the family and establishing changes of practices at the Hospital following his death.
Selected CasesView full profile »
- BA (Hons)
- BVC: Very competent
- Inner Temple Exhibition Award 2007-2008
- Streuben Benefactor Award 2007- 2008
- The Honourable Society of Inner Temple
- Personal Injury Bar Association
- Association of Personal Injury Lawyers
”A thorough and balanced barrister who maintains a calm presence and ensures all angles are thoroughly explored.”
“Her drafting style is clear and persuasive. She is very personable and easy to work with. She is excellent at responding quickly to enquiries. She has a good rapport with clients and is not afraid to take on difficult cases.”
“She has the knowledge and experience of breaking down complex legal and factual issues.”
“Her attention to detail is exceptional.”
“She is a rising star and a real fighter.”
“She is a real fighter and an astute thinker”.
“Very good at giving direct, sensible and pragmatic advice”.
“She is a very determined advocate and really fights her client’s corner”.