Frederick has a busy professional liability practice in both the High Court and County Court. He is regularly instructed pre-action to advise on liability and strategy, and then to draft correspondence and pleadings as necessary.
- The Ingenious Litigation. Represented one of the principal intermediary defendants, led by Ben Quiney QC and Carlo Taczalski, against allegations of having given negligent tax-planning advice. One of The Lawyer’s top 10 cases of 2018. Frederick and Carlo appeared in the Court of Appeal ( EWCA Civ 29) successfully overturning an order requiring a cross-undertaking in damages in return for security for costs against a litigation funder.
- Representing (as junior counsel) the same intermediary defendant in a separate claim brought by the same former client, for allegedly negligent tax planning advice in a separate matter. Value over £200,000.
- Sole counsel for a firm of agronomic (farming) advisors accused of giving negligent advice. Value £120,000. QC opponent.
- Junior counsel for a contract administrator accused of failing to issue timely payless notices. Value £370,000.
- Sole counsel for a firm of solicitors accused of failing to honour an undertaking. Value £160,000.
- Sole counsel for an engineer accused of giving negligent advice. C discontinued prior to the hearing of a strike-out application.
- Sole counsel for a contract administrator accused of failing to properly oversee works.
- Advice and representation as sole counsel in various claims against constructions professionals (e.g. architects, surveyors, engineers, lighting designers), solicitors, professional trustees, investment advisors, lettings agents and others.
- Supreme Court restates principles of private nuisance
- Carlo Taczalski and Frederick Simpson are successful in the Court of Appeal Cross-undertakings have little place in the security for costs regime
- Crown Office Chambers features in The Lawyer’s Top 20 Cases of this year
- Carlo Taczalski and Frederick Simpson are successful in the Court of Appeal as it holds that cross-undertakings have little place in the security for costs regime
- MA Philosophy (Cantab)
- GDL, BPTC (University of Law)
- Academic Scholar, Christ’s College Cambridge
- ‘Best Junior Officer’ Sword, Irish Guards
- Lord Brougham Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn
- Debating Shield, Lincoln’s Inn
- Lord Denning Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn