Construction & Engineering
Frederick has a growing construction practice. He has appeared as sole counsel in the TCC and frequently advises and drafts pleadings in construction claims across a broad range of values and levels of complexity. He is familiar with standard form contracts, the adjudication process, the duties of statutory undertakers and the various statutory provisions including the Defective Premises Act 1972, the HGCRA 1996 and the Scheme for Construction Contracts.
- Representing an adjudicator in a claim concerning his jurisdiction and entitlement to his fees.
- Representing a developer in a claim for the return of fees paid under a pre-contractual agreement, where the intended contract was never concluded.
- Representing a contractor in a claim alleging liability for allegedly negligent work by their sub-contractor.
- Drafting pleadings in claims for non-payment of contractual sums, alleged failure to provide collateral warranties and alleging or defending negligence on the part of various construction professionals.
- Advising on prospects and alternative approaches in adjudication.
- Advising (in pupillage) on the status of premises developed under an informal ‘Development Agreement’. The dispute concerned the effect of the agreement and in particular whether a partnership had been created.
- Carlo Taczalski and Frederick Simpson are successful in the Court of Appeal Cross-undertakings have little place in the security for costs regime
- Covid-19: Business Interruption insurance, an FCA class action, and the long-tail risks to insurance brokers
- Carlo Taczalski and Frederick Simpson are successful in the Court of Appeal as it holds that cross-undertakings have little place in the security for costs regime
- Kim Franklin QC and Frederick Simpson participated in “International Arbitration: Virtual Hearing Workshop”
- BPTC (University of Law)
- GDL (University of Law)
- Lord Denning Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn
- Debating Shield, Lincoln’s Inn
- Lord Brougham Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn
- ‘Best Junior Officer’ Sword, Irish Guards
- Royal Military Academy Sandhurst – Commissioning Course
- MA Philosophy (Cantab)
- Academic Scholar, Christ’s College Cambridge