David has published many articles in various publications including Scots Law Times, Journal of Psychiatry, Hume Papers on Public Policy, and Journal of Legal History in the fields of Scottish legal history, procedure, travel protection legislation and arbitration.
David is instructed as counsel in international arbitrations around the world, particularly in the Middle and Far East, and has an excellent knowledge of the various global arbitration bodies including the LCIA, ICC and the DIAC. He has experience in advising clients on both jurisdictional and enforcement related issues. His experience in international arbitration relates to disputes in the construction, real estate, and energy sectors, which have included disputes relating to a number of large scale infrastructure and development projects. He accepts appointments as arbitrator. He has also provided consultancy advice to a number of oil and gas companies throughout the world including NOC’s.
David is direct access qualified and can accept instructions directly from international companies and entities.
David is a CEDR Accredited Mediator and has also acted as counsel in a number of commercial mediations. He has considerable experience in the mediation process and also accepts appointments as mediator.
- CIArb (2010)
- CEDR Accredited Mediator (2008)
- FCIArb (2008)
- DipICArb (CIArb) (2007)
- PhD (Distinction), Edinburgh University (2005)
- Advocate, Scottish Bar (1999)
- Solicitor (Scotland) (1994)
- DipLP, Aberdeen University (1993)
- LLB (Hons), Aberdeen University (1992)
- British Institute of International & Comparative Law
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- International Roster of Arbitrators
- London Court of International Arbitration
- London Maritime Arbitration Association
- Society of Legal Scholars
- Scottish Oil Club
- Fellow of the Institute for Contemporary Scotland
- Fellow of the Royal Historical Society
- Fellow of the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts & Commerce
- Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries
- Fellow of the Society for Advanced Legal Studies