Douglas acts for major insurers in claims involving damage by subsidence, fire/smoke, water, trees and environmental waste. He is regularly instructed in claims involving professional services providers, utilities companies and local authorities.
Recent work includes:
- Junior counsel in a £1.6m fire claim against main contractors for faulty chimney flue installation (led by Ben Quiney KC); settled on favourable terms at mediation shortly after the CCMC.
- Assisting on 2 entertain v Sony DADC Europe Ltd  EWHC 972 (TCC), a £6.5m claim arising out of arson at a warehouse during the 2011 London riots (led by Ben Quiney KC).
- Acting for a commercial landlord in a contribution claim against its managing agent for persistent damp and water ingress following a c. £600k payout to its lessee for business interruption (led by Julian Field).
- Acting for the property owner in a c. 100k claim for damages done to prestige flooring by a cleaning contractor – KC opponent.
- Acting for a main contractor claiming for the faulty installation of a chilled water system in a £2m office refurbishment project.
- Acting for a precision machining company on BI losses following the servicing of its equipment.
- Advising an unincorporated private members club on a claim for a defective air conditioning system.
- Advising a chemicals supplier on a claim for damage in transit.
- Acting for a local authority in a claim for alleged nuisance following extensive landscaping works to public parkland.
- Advising on recovery following a spill from a defective oil tank.
- Acting for homeowners in a claim against an AGA servicing contractor for fire and smoke damage.
City University and Lincoln’s Inn
- Eastham scholar (Pupillage award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2015)
- Buchanan Prize (BPTC award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2015)
- Berwin Leighton Paisner Prize for best law-school team, Worshipful Company of Arbitrators arbitration competition, 2015 (representing City University)
- Lord Denning scholar (BPTC scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn, 2014)
- Monckton Prize for EU Law (City University, 2014)
- Winner, University of Southampton IV moot (representing Lincoln’s Inn, 2014)
- Lord Bowen scholar (GDL scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn, 2013)
- Hardwicke scholar (Entrance award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2013)
King’s College London
- Wellcome scholar (full stipendiary PhD scholarship, 2010-13)
- Society for the Social History of Medicine bursary (2012)
- Arts and Humanities Research Council scholar (MA scholarship, 2009-10)
- Elizabeth Margaret Dale Cast Prize (top overall degree, 2009)
- Dean’s List (2009)
- Professor Joel Hurstfield Prize (top in 2nd year, 2008)
- Dolley Prize (top in 1st year, 2007)
- Douglas James successfully defends a jurisdiction challenge by a Part 20 Defendant in a dispute over the ownership of a valuable art collection
- LADs: Are they always recoverable?
- The Motor Vehicles (Compulsory Insurance) (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2019
- 2015 – BPTC – City University – Outstanding
- 2014 – GDL – City University – Distinction
- 2013 – PhD History (Portraits of early-modern patients) – King’s College London
- 2010 – MA Early Modern History – King’s College London – Distinction
- 2009 – BA (Hons) History – University College London – First Class (top in year)