Douglas has wide experience of property damage and product liability cases. He has acted for major insurers in claims involving damage caused by subsidence, trees, fire/smoke, water and environmental waste.
- Junior counsel in 2entertain and ors v Sony Europe, a £6.5m claim arising out of arson at a warehouse during the 2011 London riots (led by Ben Quiney QC).
- Junior counsel in Albanwise and ors v Bennett (Construction) Ltd and ors, £2m proceedings against main contractors for faulty chimney flue installation (led by Ben Quiney QC).
- Acting for a commercial landlord in a contribution claim against its managing agent for persistent damp and water ingress following a six-figure payout to its lessee for business interruption (led by Julian Field).
- Acting for a main contractor claiming for the faulty installation of a chilled water system in a £2m office refurbishment project.
- Advising a private members club on a claim for a defective air conditioning system..
- Acting for a commercial landlord in a fire claim against a washing machine manufacturer.
- Acting for a local authority in a claim for alleged nuisance following extensive landscaping works to public parkland.
- Acting for the supplier in a claim about an allegedly defective motor engine.
- Advising on recovery following a spill from a defective oil tank.
- Acting for homeowners in a claim against an AGA servicing contractor for fire and smoke damage.
- Eastham scholar (Pupillage award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2015)
- Buchanan Prize (BPTC award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2015)
- Berwin Leighton Paisner Prize for best law-school team, Worshipful Company of Arbitrators arbitration competition, 2015 (representing City University)
- Lord Denning scholar (BPTC scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn, 2014)
- Monckton Prize for EU Law (City University, 2014)
- Winner, University of Southampton IV moot (representing Lincoln’s Inn, 2014)
- Lord Bowen scholar (GDL scholarship Lincoln’s Inn, 2013)
- Hardwicke scholar (Entrance award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2013)
- Wellcome scholar (full stipendiary PhD scholarship, KCL, 2010-13)
- Society for the Social History of Medicine bursary (KCL, 2012)
- Arts and Humanities Research Council scholar (MA scholarship, KCL, 2009-10)
- Elizabeth Margaret Dale Cast Prize (top overall degree, UCL, 2009)
- Dean’s List (UCL, 2009)
- Professor Joel Hurstfield Prize (top in 2nd year, UCL, 2008)
- Dolley Prize (top in 1st year, UCL, 2007)
- Are liquidated damages payable even when the contractor does not complete the works?
- Smash and grab raiders sentenced: it’s still a fair cop
- 2015 – BPTC – City University – Outstanding
- 2014 – GDL – City University – Distinction
- 2013 – PhD History (Portraits of early-modern patients) – King’s College London
- 2010 – MA Early Modern History – King’s College London – Distinction
- 2009 – BA (Hons) History – University College London – First Class (top in year)
- Society of Construction Law