Douglas’s professional liability practice covers claims against professionals of all kinds, including solicitors, financial advisors, brokers, architects, surveyors, estate agents and medical professionals.
Douglas recently completed a secondment to the PI team of a major firm of solicitors, where he handled claims against solicitors acting in property, probate, divorce, tax, personal injury and company law matters.
- Acting for the defendant solicitor in a c. £700k claim about alleged misadvising on employment redundancy terms which excluded personal injury claims.
- Acting for the defendant solicitor in c. £110k High Court proceedings about alleged misadvising on planning matters during a building development transaction.
- Acting for an IFA in proceedings about the settling of a trust.
- Acting for an architect in a claim alleging defective designs for a residential refurbishment project.
- Advising on the trust implications of a mistaken insurance payment.
- Eastham scholar (Pupillage award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2015)
- Buchanan Prize (BPTC award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2015)
- Berwin Leighton Paisner Prize for best law-school team, Worshipful Company of Arbitrators arbitration competition, 2015 (representing City University)
- Lord Denning scholar (BPTC scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn, 2014)
- Monckton Prize for EU Law (City University, 2014)
- Winner, University of Southampton IV moot (representing Lincoln’s Inn, 2014)
- Lord Bowen scholar (GDL scholarship Lincoln’s Inn, 2013)
- Hardwicke scholar (Entrance award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2013)
- Wellcome scholar (full stipendiary PhD scholarship, KCL, 2010-13)
- Society for the Social History of Medicine bursary (KCL, 2012)
- Arts and Humanities Research Council scholar (MA scholarship, KCL, 2009-10)
- Elizabeth Margaret Dale Cast Prize (top overall degree, UCL, 2009)
- Dean’s List (UCL, 2009)
- Professor Joel Hurstfield Prize (top in 2nd year, UCL, 2008)
- Dolley Prize (top in 1st year, UCL, 2007)
- The Motor Vehicles (Compulsory Insurance) (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2019
- Are liquidated damages payable even when the contractor does not complete the works?
- 2015 – BPTC – City University – Outstanding
- 2014 – GDL – City University – Distinction
- 2013 – PhD History (Portraits of early-modern patients) – King’s College London
- 2010 – MA Early Modern History – King’s College London – Distinction
- 2009 – BA (Hons) History – University College London – First Class (top in year)
- Society of Construction Law