Douglas’s professional liability practice covers claims against professionals of all kinds, including solicitors, architects, surveyors, financial advisors and brokers.
Douglas recently completed a secondment to the PI team of a major firm of solicitors, where he handled claims about property, probate, divorce, tax, personal injury and company law matters.
Douglas’s current and recent instructions include:
- Acting for solicitors in a c. £700k claim about alleged misadvising on employment redundancy terms that excluded personal injury claims.
- Acting for solicitors in a c. £600k lost injury claim.
- Acting for solicitors in a c. £300k claim about leasehold extensions – the claim raised important principles about the timing and calculation of loss.
- Acting for a regional commercial car dealer in a £100k claim for faulty servicing against its security maintenance company – QC opponent – the claim raised significant points about the chain of causation.
- Acting for solicitors in c. £110k proceedings about alleged misadvising on planning matters during a building development – the claim concerned the thorny issue of 2nd limb Hadley v Baxendale knowledge on lost profit.
- Acting for solicitors in a c. £250k claim about the purchase of a property with flawed title.
- Acting for an IFA in proceedings about the settling of a trust.
- Acting for an architect in a claim alleging defective design.
- Advising on the trust implications of a mistaken insurance payment.
City University and Lincoln’s Inn
- Eastham scholar (Pupillage award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2015)
- Buchanan Prize (BPTC award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2015)
- Berwin Leighton Paisner Prize for best law-school team, Worshipful Company of Arbitrators arbitration competition, 2015 (representing City University)
- Lord Denning scholar (BPTC scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn, 2014)
- Monckton Prize for EU Law (City University, 2014)
- Winner, University of Southampton IV moot (representing Lincoln’s Inn, 2014)
- Lord Bowen scholar (GDL scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn, 2013)
- Hardwicke scholar (Entrance award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2013)
King’s College London
- Wellcome scholar (full stipendiary PhD scholarship, 2010-13)
- Society for the Social History of Medicine bursary (2012)
- Arts and Humanities Research Council scholar (MA scholarship, 2009-10)
- Elizabeth Margaret Dale Cast Prize (top overall degree, 2009)
- Dean’s List (2009)
- Professor Joel Hurstfield Prize (top in 2nd year, 2008)
- Dolley Prize (top in 1st year, 2007)
- Douglas James successfully defends a jurisdiction challenge by a Part 20 Defendant in a dispute over the ownership of a valuable art collection
- LADs: Are they always recoverable?
- The Motor Vehicles (Compulsory Insurance) (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2019
- 2015 – BPTC – City University – Outstanding
- 2014 – GDL – City University – Distinction
- 2013 – PhD History (Portraits of early-modern patients) – King’s College London
- 2010 – MA Early Modern History – King’s College London – Distinction
- 2009 – BA (Hons) History – University College London – First Class (top in year)