Douglas joined chambers in October 2016 following pupillage. His practice is particularly focussed on construction, insurance, professional negligence, property damage and personal injury matters – and the overlaps between these areas of work. Douglas is a contributing editor to Emden’s Construction Law: among others, he wrote the chapters on misrepresentation, estoppel and frustration.
Douglas welcomes instructions to give advice, draft documents and conduct hearings (he appears in court almost every day). He prides himself on providing clear and practical advice, crisp and succinct pleadings and fair and forceful advocacy.
Douglas read History at UCL and came top of his year. He went on to write a PhD in medical History. After turning to law Douglas gained a Distinction in the GDL and was graded Outstanding in Bar finals. He is a Hardwicke, Eastham, Lord Bowen and Lord Denning scholar of Lincoln’s Inn.
Outside the office Douglas is a rugby referee and a church bell-ringer.View full profile »
- Eastham scholar (Pupillage award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2015)
- Buchanan Prize (BPTC award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2015)
- Berwin Leighton Paisner Prize for best law-school team, Worshipful Company of Arbitrators arbitration competition, 2015 (representing City University)
- Lord Denning scholar (BPTC scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn, 2014)
- Monckton Prize for EU Law (City University, 2014)
- Winner, University of Southampton IV moot (representing Lincoln’s Inn, 2014)
- Lord Bowen scholar (GDL scholarship Lincoln’s Inn, 2013)
- Hardwicke scholar (Entrance award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2013)
- Wellcome scholar (full stipendiary PhD scholarship, KCL, 2010-13)
- Society for the Social History of Medicine bursary (KCL, 2012)
- Arts and Humanities Research Council scholar (MA scholarship, KCL, 2009-10)
- Elizabeth Margaret Dale Cast Prize (top overall degree, UCL, 2009)
- Dean’s List (UCL, 2009)
- Professor Joel Hurstfield Prize (top in 2nd year, UCL, 2008)
- Dolley Prize (top in 1st year, UCL, 2007)
- The Motor Vehicles (Compulsory Insurance) (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2019
- Are liquidated damages payable even when the contractor does not complete the works?
- 2015 – BPTC – City University – Outstanding
- 2014 – GDL – City University – Distinction
- 2013 – PhD History (Portraits of early-modern patients) – King’s College London
- 2010 – MA Early Modern History – King’s College London – Distinction
- 2009 – BA (Hons) History – University College London – First Class (top in year)
- Society of Construction Law