Douglas’s practice spans construction, insurance, professional negligence, property damage and personal injury matters – and the overlaps between these areas of work.
Douglas prides himself on providing clear and practical advice, crisp written work and forceful advocacy. He accepts Public Access clients in appropriate cases.
Douglas read History at UCL and came top of his year. He went on to write a PhD in medical History. After turning to law Douglas gained a Distinction in the GDL and was graded Outstanding in Bar finals. He is a Hardwicke, Eastham, Lord Bowen and Lord Denning scholar of Lincoln’s Inn.
Outside the office Douglas is a rugby referee and a church bell-ringer.View full profile »
- Eastham scholar (Pupillage award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2015)
- Buchanan Prize (BPTC award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2015)
- Berwin Leighton Paisner Prize for best law-school team, Worshipful Company of Arbitrators arbitration competition, 2015 (representing City University)
- Lord Denning scholar (BPTC scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn, 2014)
- Monckton Prize for EU Law (City University, 2014)
- Winner, University of Southampton IV moot (representing Lincoln’s Inn, 2014)
- Lord Bowen scholar (GDL scholarship Lincoln’s Inn, 2013)
- Hardwicke scholar (Entrance award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2013)
- Wellcome scholar (full stipendiary PhD scholarship, KCL, 2010-13)
- Society for the Social History of Medicine bursary (KCL, 2012)
- Arts and Humanities Research Council scholar (MA scholarship, KCL, 2009-10)
- Elizabeth Margaret Dale Cast Prize (top overall degree, UCL, 2009)
- Dean’s List (UCL, 2009)
- Professor Joel Hurstfield Prize (top in 2nd year, UCL, 2008)
- Dolley Prize (top in 1st year, UCL, 2007)
- Douglas James successfully defends a jurisdiction challenge by a Part 20 Defendant in a dispute over the ownership of a valuable art collection
- LADs: Are they always recoverable?
- The Motor Vehicles (Compulsory Insurance) (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2019
- 2015 – BPTC – City University – Outstanding
- 2014 – GDL – City University – Distinction
- 2013 – PhD History (Portraits of early-modern patients) – King’s College London
- 2010 – MA Early Modern History – King’s College London – Distinction
- 2009 – BA (Hons) History – University College London – First Class (top in year)