Construction & Engineering
Douglas has wide experience of construction disputes and a number of standard form contracts. He welcomes instructions to assist in all forms of construction dispute resolution, including claims against construction professionals.
Douglas is a contributing editor to Emden’s Construction Law. He also recently presented to the Society of Construction Law’s Astra group on the subject of delay analysis.
Douglas is a member of the Society of Construction Law and TECBAR.
- Acting for the employer in 2 c. £250k interim and final account adjudications (led by David Sears QC).
- Acting for the main contractor in 2 c. £150k adjudications concerning scaffolding works on a school refurbishment project.
- Advising an assignee on the implications of contractor insolvency for the enforceability of an adjudication decision.
- Advising a nationwide housing developer on potential statutory remedies for damage done to infrastructure apparatus.
- Advising on economic loss in relation to a claim for allegedly defective renovation works at a premium property development in Belgravia.
- Advising on jurisdiction and natural justice in proposed adjudication enforcement proceedings.
- Acting for a solar-farm developer in a claim for delayed and defective preparatory works.
- Acting for a building owner in an appeal under the Party Wall Etc. Act 1996.
- Acting for a major insurer in a claim for breach of a contract to undertake repair works and for damage allegedly caused by a housing developer.
- Acting for a landscaping contractor in a claim for alleged nuisance and negligence while carrying out underground repair works.
- Advising a contractor on a claim to recoup monies under a contractual compensation clause following alleged overpayment for repairs to gas pipes.
- Advising a private members club on a claim for a defective air conditioning system.
Douglas was Crispin Winser’s pupil shortly before the appeal on the Party Wall Act in Gray v Elite Town Management Ltd  EWCA Civ 1318.View full profile »
- Eastham scholar (Pupillage award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2015)
- Buchanan Prize (BPTC award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2015)
- Berwin Leighton Paisner Prize for best law-school team, Worshipful Company of Arbitrators arbitration competition, 2015 (representing City University)
- Lord Denning scholar (BPTC scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn, 2014)
- Monckton Prize for EU Law (City University, 2014)
- Winner, University of Southampton IV moot (representing Lincoln’s Inn, 2014)
- Lord Bowen scholar (GDL scholarship Lincoln’s Inn, 2013)
- Hardwicke scholar (Entrance award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2013)
- Wellcome scholar (full stipendiary PhD scholarship, KCL, 2010-13)
- Society for the Social History of Medicine bursary (KCL, 2012)
- Arts and Humanities Research Council scholar (MA scholarship, KCL, 2009-10)
- Elizabeth Margaret Dale Cast Prize (top overall degree, UCL, 2009)
- Dean’s List (UCL, 2009)
- Professor Joel Hurstfield Prize (top in 2nd year, UCL, 2008)
- Dolley Prize (top in 1st year, UCL, 2007)
- Are liquidated damages payable even when the contractor does not complete the works?
- Smash and grab raiders sentenced: it’s still a fair cop
- 2015 – BPTC – City University – Outstanding
- 2014 – GDL – City University – Distinction
- 2013 – PhD History (Portraits of early-modern patients) – King’s College London
- 2010 – MA Early Modern History – King’s College London – Distinction
- 2009 – BA (Hons) History – University College London – First Class (top in year)
- Society of Construction Law