Douglas is regularly instructed in commercial disputes. He has experience of a wide range of commercial matters involving: the sale of goods; the supply of services; jurisdiction and conflict of laws; guarantees and indemnities; unjust enrichment; agency; bailment and conversion; credit hire disputes; and corporate and personal insolvency.
Douglas’s recent instructions include:
- Assisting in a £8m claim against a high-street bank concerning alleged breaches of long-term agency licensing agreements, including implied terms of good faith (led by Jason Evans-Tovey).
- Acting for the parent company in a £2.1m claim on a disputed parent company guarantee.
- Acting for an international retailer in a c. £200k sale of goods dispute.
- Advising on conversion in a c. £100k chain of sales of agricultural machinery.
- Acting for a firm of consultants in a claim against a Swiss IT company.
- Advising on the scope of equitable subrogation and unjust enrichment following a mistaken payment by a company settling another company’s liability.
- Acting for an agricultural machinery manufacturer in an agrifoods company’s claim for loss of yields and profit.
Douglas is also a member of the Government Legal Department’s ‘junior junior’ panel. He recently assisted on a judicial review of the sale of a publicly-owned bank and is currently being led by Isabel Hitching QC on a Francovich claim against the Dept. of Transport by the injured passenger of an uninsured vehicle.View full profile »
- Eastham scholar (Pupillage award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2015)
- Buchanan Prize (BPTC award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2015)
- Berwin Leighton Paisner Prize for best law-school team, Worshipful Company of Arbitrators arbitration competition, 2015 (representing City University)
- Lord Denning scholar (BPTC scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn, 2014)
- Monckton Prize for EU Law (City University, 2014)
- Winner, University of Southampton IV moot (representing Lincoln’s Inn, 2014)
- Lord Bowen scholar (GDL scholarship Lincoln’s Inn, 2013)
- Hardwicke scholar (Entrance award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2013)
- Wellcome scholar (full stipendiary PhD scholarship, KCL, 2010-13)
- Society for the Social History of Medicine bursary (KCL, 2012)
- Arts and Humanities Research Council scholar (MA scholarship, KCL, 2009-10)
- Elizabeth Margaret Dale Cast Prize (top overall degree, UCL, 2009)
- Dean’s List (UCL, 2009)
- Professor Joel Hurstfield Prize (top in 2nd year, UCL, 2008)
- Dolley Prize (top in 1st year, UCL, 2007)
- Douglas James successfully defends a jurisdiction challenge by a Part 20 Defendant in a dispute over the ownership of a valuable art collection
- LADs: Are they always recoverable?
- The Motor Vehicles (Compulsory Insurance) (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2019
- 2015 – BPTC – City University – Outstanding
- 2014 – GDL – City University – Distinction
- 2013 – PhD History (Portraits of early-modern patients) – King’s College London
- 2010 – MA Early Modern History – King’s College London – Distinction
- 2009 – BA (Hons) History – University College London – First Class (top in year)