Douglas is regularly instructed in commercial disputes. He has experience of a wide range of commercial matters involving: the sale of goods; the supply of services; jurisdiction and conflict of laws; unjust enrichment; agency; bailment; credit hire disputes; and corporate and personal insolvency.
- Assisting in a £8m claim against a major high-street bank concerning alleged breaches of implied terms of long-term agency licensing agreements, including alleged implied terms of good faith (led by Jason Evans-Tovey).
- Acting for an international retailer in a c. £200k sale of goods dispute.
- Acting for a construction company in a c. £100k claim against an undisclosed principal for non-payment of invoices.
- Acting for a consultancy company in a claim against a Swiss IT company for unpaid fees.
- Acting for a bespoke catering company in a claim to recover unpaid fees from a client alleging breach of its service contract.
- Advising on the scope of equitable subrogation and the possibility of a claim in unjust enrichment following a mistaken payment by a company purporting to settle another company’s liability.
- Acting for an agricultural machinery manufacturer in a claim for loss of yields and profit.
- Appearing for creditors and debtors in insolvency proceedings (particularly in relation to non-payment of agents’ commission, residential charges and tax).
- Appearing for major insurers in credit hire litigation.
Douglas is also a member of the Government Legal Department’s “junior junior” panel. He recently assisted on a judicial review of the sale of a publicly-owned bank.View full profile »
- Eastham scholar (Pupillage award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2015)
- Buchanan Prize (BPTC award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2015)
- Berwin Leighton Paisner Prize for best law-school team, Worshipful Company of Arbitrators arbitration competition, 2015 (representing City University)
- Lord Denning scholar (BPTC scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn, 2014)
- Monckton Prize for EU Law (City University, 2014)
- Winner, University of Southampton IV moot (representing Lincoln’s Inn, 2014)
- Lord Bowen scholar (GDL scholarship Lincoln’s Inn, 2013)
- Hardwicke scholar (Entrance award, Lincoln’s Inn, 2013)
- Wellcome scholar (full stipendiary PhD scholarship, KCL, 2010-13)
- Society for the Social History of Medicine bursary (KCL, 2012)
- Arts and Humanities Research Council scholar (MA scholarship, KCL, 2009-10)
- Elizabeth Margaret Dale Cast Prize (top overall degree, UCL, 2009)
- Dean’s List (UCL, 2009)
- Professor Joel Hurstfield Prize (top in 2nd year, UCL, 2008)
- Dolley Prize (top in 1st year, UCL, 2007)
- Are liquidated damages payable even when the contractor does not complete the works?
- Smash and grab raiders sentenced: it’s still a fair cop
- 2015 – BPTC – City University – Outstanding
- 2014 – GDL – City University – Distinction
- 2013 – PhD History (Portraits of early-modern patients) – King’s College London
- 2010 – MA Early Modern History – King’s College London – Distinction
- 2009 – BA (Hons) History – University College London – First Class (top in year)
- Society of Construction Law