Construction & Engineering
All aspects of construction and engineering disputes, including related insurance disputes, for contractors, employers and insurers.
He is the co-author of the chapter in Emden’s Construction Law on construction insolvency.
- Acting for defendant oil companies in relation to various substantial commercial property damage and business interruption claims arising out of the Buncefield Oil Storage Depot explosion.
- Acting for construction company concerning allegedly negligent design, failure to warn, and defective works at a new marina.
- Acting for UK / Malaysian steel fabricators in claim against Malaysian steel suppliers for defective goods and delays in delivery.
- Advising property investment company as to merits of potential claims for loss and damage arising from failure of defendant fully to implement environmental remediation works on substantial commercial / retail site.
- Advising a national house builder as to the enforceability of charges taken as security for equity loans
- Oakapple Homes (Glossop) Ltd v DTR (2009) Ltd (In Liquidation) & Ors  Lloyd’s Rep IR 103; (2013) 29 Const LJ 523;  EWHC 2394 (TCC) – Acting for property developer of part-commercial, part-residential, building destroyed by fire. Fire allegedly worsened by design errors committed by architect. Property developer sought specific performance of architect’s obligation to execute collateral warranties in favour of residential lessees. Warranties contained restrictions on architect’s liability to the beneficiaries and architect’s PI policy excluded liability for most claims arising out of a collateral warranty. Court required to determine architect’s PI insurers’ contentions that architect would be entitled to rely on the contributory negligence of the contractor as a partial defence to any claim under the warranty.
- Pinnacle Developments Ltd & Anr v Donban Contracting Ltd – Acting for building contractor successfully resisting claim that it should be compelled to release its charge over a substantial hotel and residential development in London. Charge taken as security for employer / developer’s payment obligations under a JCT Design and Build contract. Employer / developer offering alternative security which building contractor considered to be unsatisfactory.
- “Practical completion” considered by Court Appeal for first time in 50 years
- Financial Conduct Authority v First Capital Wealth Ltd: suspected boiler room shut down
- Diploma in International Commercial Arbitration, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- LLB (Hons), Manchester University
- Administrative Law Bar Association
- Commercial Bar Association
- London Common Law & Commercial Bar Association
- London Court of International Arbitration
- Professional Negligence Bar Association