Construction & Engineering
In addition to the international arbitration and domestic adjudication work exemplified in the lists above, Daniel is also regularly instructed to advise, draft pre-action correspondence, draft pleadings, and represent parties involved in construction, engineering, and general commercial litigation. Examples of Daniel’s recent litigation instructions as sole Counsel include:
- Representing parties at numerous unremarkable adjudication enforcement hearings before the High Court (TCC).
- Advising and representing a Hollywood film producer in a dispute over construction works at his London home, against a main contractor.
- Advising a purchaser in relation to a claim for defective repair and restoration works carried out on a £250,000 vintage automobile.
- Advising and representing a main contractor in an application for a stay to arbitration.
- Advising and representing a sub-contractor in relation to a claim made by a main contractor concerning a fire alarm at a large hospital in London.
- Advising and representing a charity in relation to a defective roof at a meditation centre in England.
- Advising and representing a building contractor in relation to a claim for unpaid fees concerning a residential development in Yorkshire.
- Advising and representing a FTSE 50 executive in relation to a dispute with various parties concerning delays and defects at a self-build residential property.
- Advising a subcontractor on the availability of a bona fide subcontractor defence.
- Advising an Employer’s Agent as to whether he held a lien over his file pending payment of his fees by the Employer.
- Advising the target in respect of a dispute arising out of the takeover of Swiss haulage/transport firm by a joint venture in relation to a dispute worth approximately £1m.
- Advising a main contractor in respect of threatened litigation arising out of cladding of hotel in central London deemed defective following the fire at Grenfell Tower – JCT DB 2009 form.
- Advising a specialist sub-contractor in respect of threatened litigation arising out of cladding of (inter alia) new build properties in White City, London, considered defective following the fire at Grenfell Tower.
- Advising and representing an exporter in litigation against an insolvent service provider arising out of certification of meat products for export.
- Advising an employer in respect of a professional negligence claim arising out of redevelopment of large residential property in Notting Hill, London.
- Advising and representing a claimant in respect of a claim for non-payment, and defending a counterclaim concerning defects, arising out of the construction of a new road in west London.
- Representing a national hotel chain in its defence of a claim for damages for breach of contract (including on appeal).
- Advising a supplier of specialist products to the automotive industry as to a share and asset purchase by an Indian multinational.
Selected CasesView full profile »
- Mould Senior Scholarship, Gray’s Inn
- Robin Jacob Discretionary Award, Gray’s Inn
- Albion Richardson Award, Gray’s Inn
- Sweet & Maxwell Prize (now known as the Thomson Reuters Law Prize) awarded to the highest achieving final year law student, University of Keele
- Michael Whincup Prize, awarded to the highest achieving second year law student, University of Keele
- KJD (now Freeths) Prize for Highest Contract Law Mark, University of Keele
- Hudson Prize High Commendation, Society of Construction Law
- Brooking Prize Commendation, Society of Construction Law Australia
- Harry Vann and Daniel Shaw appointed as Recorders
- Anna Laney and Daniel Shaw to lecture at the Department of Engineering at the University of Cambridge
- The Corporate Insolvency and Governance Act 2020 and its Impact on the Construction Industry
- Adjudication during the Covid-19 restrictions: an option for disputes during lockdown?
- MSt Construction Engineering, Queens’ College, University of Cambridge (2013 – 2015)
- Bar Vocational Course, Very Competent, BPP Law School, London (2006 – 2007)
- LLB Law (First Class), University of Keele (2003 – 2006)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Constructors
- Society of Construction Law
- Society of Construction Law Australia
- Technology & Construction Bar Association