Health & Safety
Christopher Kennedy QC took silk in 2010 and his practice concentrates on the fields of personal injury and health and safety work. He also addresses issues concerning policy and indemnity. Chris is therefore able to offer advice and assistance in relation to all three areas when they are found together.
Chris is particularly aware of the issues which can arise when individuals find themselves confronted by a prosecution against either their business or them personally. He works well with clients in these situations.
Recently, Chris has undertaken a number of cases involving fatal or catastrophic injury sustained following trespass and a number of cases involving fatal injuries on construction sites.
He has significant experience of the following:
- Representing interested parties at inquests;
- Issues surrounding interviews, abuse of process and disclosure;
- Responding to the prosecution case;
- Negotiating bases of plea;
- The preparation and deployment of lay and expert evidence;
- Trial preparation;
Chris is a member of the Bar Council and its Courts and Legal Services sub-committee and is on the executive committee of P.I.B.A. He sits as a Recorder in the Crown Court.
- Representing a company (criminal prosecution) and its insurer (catastrophic injury) in relation to the collapse of a platform during the course of the construction of a football stadium.
- Representing a railway operator in relation to fatalities/injuries sustained following trespasses onto its land. Representing a second railway operator following a fatal accident at work.
- Representing a householder following the death of an independent contractor at his property.
- Representing an organisation following the death by chemical burns at its site of an independent contractor.
- BA (Hons), Cambridge University
- Recorder of the Crown Court
- Health & Safety Lawyer’s Association
- Personal Injury Bar Association
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
“He is excellent on high-value and complex personal injury claims. He’s always extremely well prepared and approachable, and is a fantastic negotiator.” “He’s very good with clients and is able to present complex issues in a straightforward way.” “He has a lovely manner and is able to drill down into complex evidence without flustering witnesses and experts.”
Chambers & Partners 2020
“Principally represents defendants, often on significantly high-value claims, though he also undertakes claimant work. His caseload encompasses catastrophic brain injury, RTAs and industrial disease claims, among others. “Detail-driven and an effective negotiator.” “An incisive thinker with an approachable and emphatic manner with clients. He is superb at breaking down the complex components of policy issues and his attention to detail in catastrophic personal injury claims is outstanding.”
Chambers & Partners 2017
“An incisive thinker with an approachable and emphatic manner with clients. He is superb at breaking down the complex components of policy issues and his attention to detail in catastrophic personal injury claims is outstanding.”
Chambers & Partners 2017
“He is very good on his feet: calm and considered, and absolutely on the point when cross-examining the witness” ; “he is excellent in conference and always meticulously well prepared” ; “he is nicely commercial and pragmatic. He doesn’t just give you a legal opinion – he also gives you a business opinion” ; “very easy to deal with, he goes the extra mile and is always approachable.”
Chambers & Partners 2015
“Is especially highly regarded for his high-value defendant practice, acting in a large number of catastrophic brain injury and amputation cases. He’s detail-driven, and an effective negotiator.”
Chambers & Partners 2014
“He tackles a broad range of claims, including those concerning employer’s liability, public liability, industrial disease and serious road traffic accidents.”
Chambers & Partners 2013
Legal 500 2013
“The ‘astute and unstuffy’ Christopher Kennedy QC is ‘courteous yet tough’, and ‘keeps his opponents on their toes’. His ‘written advice is concise and well thought-out’, say clients, and he is sought on the trickier catastrophic injury and quantum issues.”
Chambers & Partners 2012
“Christopher Kennedy QC’s ‘cross-examination skills are outstanding’.”
Legal 500 2012
“A new silk, who fellow barristers believe ‘will always make a good fist of a case however seemingly weak it is’.”
Chambers & Partners 2011
“Christopher Kennedy’s practice spans all types of personal injury work, but also takes in a substantial proportion of regulatory work. He is ‘approachable, pragmatic and will cut to the issues’”
Chambers & Partners 2010
“Christopher Kennedy is a sought after choice for general personal injury work. Clients like him as he provides ‘unfailingly commercial and practical advice'”
Chambers & Partners 2009