Caroline has considerable experience of all types of Personal Injury litigation. Her particular focus is on fraudulent road-traffic litigation and she regularly appears for insurers at trial where the claim is defended on low velocity impact grounds. She is very familiar with the Kearsley v Klarfeld / Casey v Cartwright arguments and has obtained findings of fundamental dishonesty on a number of occasions. More broadly, Caroline has a keen interest in employers’ liability and industrial disease claims, in which she acts for both claimants and defendants.
Her practice extends to dealing with associated insurance and professional indemnity work.
- Acting for a number of defendant insurers at trial in their successful defences to fraudulent personal injury claims.
- Advising and settling a Schedule of Loss on behalf of a Claimant who suffered significant back pain following multiple road traffic accidents. There was a significant and difficult dispute among the medical experts as to causation.
- Representing several local authorities in claims by employees for injury in the workplace.
- Representing a defendant local authority in a claim for psychiatric damage / distress arising out a series of procedural errors. The claim was successfully struck out before trial.
- Settling a defence on behalf of an NHS Trust in a claim valued in excess of £575,000. The claim was discontinued on receipt of the defence.
- Representing a number of care homes in inquest proceedings lasting several days and touching on sensitive issues of patient care and safeguarding. Favourable verdicts were achieved on every occasion.
- Acting as Counsel to the Coroner in the Inquest into the Lakanal House Fire in 2009. Caroline was led by James Maxwell-Scott and instructed with Mike Atkins.
- Court of Appeal construes important Typhoon Warranty in marine reinsurance contract
- New members of chambers
- Major Scholar, Inner Temple (2009 – 2010)
- BVC, BPP Law School (Very Competent) (2009 – 2010)
- Exhibitioner, Inner Temple (2008 – 2009)
- GDL, BPP Law School (Distinction) (2008 – 2009)
- Demyship, Magdalen College, Oxford (2006 – 2008)
- BA (Hons) University of Oxford (2005 – 2008)