Caroline McColgan joined chambers in October 2011 following successful completion of her pupillage. Since then she has been developing a practice which is strongly focused on insurance, property damage, professional negligence and construction law. Caroline is a confident advocate and regularly appears in the High Court as well as before the Court of Appeal.
Caroline is presently instructed to act for Zurich in the FCA Test Case litigation, a landmark insurance claim concerning the response of various policies of business interruption insurance to the Covid-19 pandemic. Her current caseload also includes: 2 Entertain & Ors v Sony DADC, an £8m insurance dispute arising out of the London Riots in 2011; TRW v Whirlpool & Ors, a £9m product liability claim on foot in the TCC; a fire claim arising out of the destruction of a stately home where damages are claimed in excess of £115m and a £4m construction claim raising an important question as to the validity of the ‘complex structure theory’. Early in her practice, Caroline was instructed on the major reinsurance case of Amlin Corporate Member Ltd & Ors v Oriental Assurance Company  EWHC 2380 (Comm), appearing as junior counsel for the defendant at trial in the commercial court and on appeal to the Court of Appeal (see Amlin Corporate Member Ltd & Ors v Oriental Assurance Company  EWCA Civ 1135).
Before coming to the Bar, Caroline read history at Magdalen College Oxford and then undertook the law conversion course in which she received a distinction. She is a contributing editor to Emden on Construction Law, co-authoring Chapter Two: “Formation and Validity of Contract”.View full profile »
- Andrew Rigney QC and Caroline McColgan in FCA test case
- Court of Appeal construes important Typhoon Warranty in marine reinsurance contract
- 2 Entertain Video Ltd & Ors v Sony DADC Europe Ltd  EWHC 972 (TCC)- TCC gives judgment in major insurance claim arising out of the 2011 London Riots
- Remote trial or adjournment?
- Major Scholar, Inner Temple (2009 – 2010)
- BVC, BPP Law School (Very Competent) (2009 – 2010)
- Exhibitioner, Inner Temple (2008 – 2009)
- GDL, BPP Law School (Distinction) (2008 – 2009)
- Demyship, Magdalen College, Oxford (2006 – 2008)
- BA (Hons) University of Oxford (2005 – 2008)
“She expertly deals with particularly difficult and robust challenges to her position, whilst maintaining a cool, pragmatic and commercial head.”
Legal 500 2020