Construction & Engineering
Caroline is regularly instructed in construction disputes. She has experience of dealing with claims for delay and disruption, loss and expense and defective works. She acts for employers, contractors, sub- contractors, insurers and individuals. In addition to her court practice, Caroline has been involved in a number of high value adjudication and arbitration matters. She frequently advises in claims for negligence and/or breach of contract against construction professionals.
Caroline is also developing a practice in Energy and Natural resources to complement her general construction work.
- Acting for a major UK contractor in its defence to a £12m claim alleging defects in the construction of a leisure centre. Part 20 proceedings have been brought against the architect, the structural engineer and a subcontractor. Caroline is being led by Andrew Rigney QC.
- Acting for the Defendant in a £25m+ arbitration concerning defective microtunneling works on a major engineering project in Bahrain;
- Acting for the developer of a prestigious development in Belgravia in connection with a nuisance and party wall dispute. Caroline was led by Michael Curtis QC and instructed together with Crispin Winser and Michele de Gregorio.
- Acting for the Respondent in confidential adjudication proceedings concerning the electronics system installed at a Wind Farm. Caroline was led by Daniel Shapiro.
- Acting for the Defendant, a major national piling company, in a £6m claim for defective piling works. Caroline was led by Julian Field.
- Advising a contractor in a claim for unpaid fees where there were no formal contractual arrangements in place.
- Assisting with investigations into the Lakanal House Fire, which occurred in 2009. Caroline was particularly concerned with the buildings / structural issues which were raised and became very familiar with the provisions of the Building Regulations 2010.
- Court of Appeal construes important Typhoon Warranty in marine reinsurance contract
- New members of chambers
- Major Scholar, Inner Temple (2009 – 2010)
- BVC, BPP Law School (Very Competent) (2009 – 2010)
- Exhibitioner, Inner Temple (2008 – 2009)
- GDL, BPP Law School (Distinction) (2008 – 2009)
- Demyship, Magdalen College, Oxford (2006 – 2008)
- BA (Hons) University of Oxford (2005 – 2008)