Insurance & Reinsurance
Most of Benedict’s work involves an insurance element. Benedict has experience in advising in a range of ‘pure’ insurance matters including coverage disputes and policy avoidance disputes.
His recent work includes:
- Policy voiding – (during pupillage) assisting James Medd with a claim involving a landscape gardening insured making material misrepresentations about the nature of its business. The claim arose from a gas pipe explosion which caused a sub-contractor to suffer third-degree burns over his entire body.
- Coverage – (during pupillage) advised on Covid-19 business interruption coverage for a beauty salon claiming under a ‘hybrid clause’ which was triggered upon the manifestation of a notifiable disease at the insured’s premises. Involved complex issues of causation in light of the FCA test case as the insured could evidence the presence of Covid-19 at the premises at start of the pandemic but not thereafter while it remained closed.
- Coverage – (during pupillage) advised on whether coverage was triggered where a contractor had delegated hot roofing work to a bona fide sub-contractor and the sub-contractor had failed to take safety precautions which were conditions precedent for the contractor’s coverage under the policy.
- Late payment under s. 13A(1) Insurance Act 2015 – (during pupillage) advised an insurer on liability for an alleged breach of its duty to pay a claim within reasonable time. The claim concerned the payment of an indemnity for reinstatement of a flooded home and the insured alleged that the delay in payment led to the development of a fungal respiratory infection due to having to live in a damp home.
Selected CasesView full profile »
- Academic Scholarship, Oriel College (2017-2019)
- Oriel College Prize for Finals results (2019)
- Finalist (top 12 of over 100 essays), Times Law Awards (2020)
- BA Jurisprudence (Double First, 9/250 in cohort); Oriel College, University of Oxford
- Bachelor of Civil Law (Distinction); Oriel College, University of Oxford
- Bar Vocational Studies (Distinction); City, University of London