Athena has considerable experience of property damage matters. She regularly advises and represents both claimants and defendants in complex and high value claims ranging from fire and flood damage, to tree root subsidence. She has advised on a range of matters, including merits, quantum and jurisdictional matters. Athena enjoys highly technical claims and is comfortable with complex expert evidence.
- Advising the claimant’s insurer in a case where a defective dishwasher caused fire damage to the claimant’s home.
- Advising a claimant whose home had become damaged due to flooding from sewage pipes.
- Advising a defendant local authority in relation to property damage caused by street furniture within its control.
- Representing a homeowner whose home sustained damage due to tree root subsidence.
- Advising a claimant whose offices had sustained fire damage due to a defective dishwasher. This included advice regarding jurisdiction, service out and the process in relation to an (insured) insolvent defendant.
- Advising and representing a small business in a claim for damage and business interruption due to flooding caused by a poorly resurfaced road.
- Acting for a defendant horsebox trader in a claim for damages arising from the malfunction of the horsebox.
- Advising claimant homeowners whose homes had sustained flooding damage when the drainage for a nearby road failed.
- Lincolns Inn BPTC Lord Denning Scholarship (2010)
- Lincolns Inn Hardwicke Entrance Award (2009)
- Cambridge European Trusts Scholarship (2009)
- Trinity Hall Dr Cooper Law Studentship (2009)
- Trinity Hall Alan King-Hamilton Bursary for Excellence (2009)
- Winner of the Cambridge University De Smith Mooting Competition (2009)
- Winner of the Trinity Hall Law Society Moot (2006 & 2009)
- Robert Stokell, Anna Laney, Daniel Shaw, and Athena Markides to lecture on advocacy at the University of Cambridge
- Athena Markides elected as Vice Chair of the Bar Council Young Barristers Committee
- BA (Hons), University of Cambridge (2005 – 2009)
- Erasmus Exhange, Universiteit Utrecht, Netherlands (2007 – 2008)
- LLM, University of Cambridge (2009 – 2010)
- BPTC, BPP Law School (2010 – 2011)
- European Circuit
Athena is also an elected member of the Bar Council and a member of the Young Bar Committee and EU Law Committee.