Athena has been instructed as a junior and as sole counsel in domestic and international mediations and arbitrations. Her work in this field generally involves construction, infrastructure and energy projects as well as related insurance disputes.
Athena is currently being led in a multi-million pound arbitration to determine quantum of a contractor’s damages following early termination of an East Africa construction project. She has previously been led in the liability phase of the same matter, which included complex delay analysis, and consideration of the operation and effect of time becoming “at large”.
Selected CasesView full profile »
- Lincolns Inn BPTC Lord Denning Scholarship (2010)
- Lincolns Inn Hardwicke Entrance Award (2009)
- Cambridge European Trusts Scholarship (2009)
- Trinity Hall Dr Cooper Law Studentship (2009)
- Trinity Hall Alan King-Hamilton Bursary for Excellence (2009)
- Winner of the Cambridge University De Smith Mooting Competition (2009)
- Winner of the Trinity Hall Law Society Moot (2006 & 2009)
- Robert Stokell, Anna Laney, Daniel Shaw, and Athena Markides to lecture on advocacy at the University of Cambridge
- Athena Markides elected as Vice Chair of the Bar Council Young Barristers Committee
- BA (Hons), University of Cambridge (2005 – 2009)
- Erasmus Exhange, Universiteit Utrecht, Netherlands (2007 – 2008)
- LLM, University of Cambridge (2009 – 2010)
- BPTC, BPP Law School (2010 – 2011)
- European Circuit
Athena is also an elected member of the Bar Council and a member of the Young Bar Committee and EU Law Committee.