Athena has advised and litigated in a range of areas of commercial law. She has experience of matters including the sale of goods and supply of goods and services, breach of contract, misrepresentation, waiver and estoppel, contribution claims, unjust enrichment, invoice discounting, credit hire and corporate and personal insolvency.
Athena is a contributing author to LexisPSL Commercial and has authored practice notes regarding the supply of goods and supply of services.
- Acting for a private company defending a debt claim in a matter concerning the incorporation of contractual terms and the enforceability of a liquidated damages clause.
- Representing a sign manufacturer against a chain of hotels in a dispute for non-payment of invoices.
- Acting for a well-known firm of estate agents in claims for unpaid commission.
- Representing an employer seeking to reclaim commission paid to a former employee.
- Advising a small business seeking damages for fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Advising a small business seeking to terminate a hire purchase contract.
- Representing one of a chain of suppliers in a dispute under the Sale of Goods Act.
- Acting for petitioners and creditors in bankruptcy and winding up petitions, in actions to set aside statutory demands and in actions to annul bankruptcy orders.
- Athena is currently being led by Muhammed Haque QC in a claim arising under the Contribution Act 1978. This claim raises particular questions regarding the interpretation of s.1(4) of the Act.
- Athena assisted Andrew Rigney QC in a claim considering the definition of a consumer for the purposes of the Consumer Protection Act and more generally as a matter of EU law.
- Lincolns Inn BPTC Lord Denning Scholarship (2010)
- Lincolns Inn Hardwicke Entrance Award (2009)
- Cambridge European Trusts Scholarship (2009)
- Trinity Hall Dr Cooper Law Studentship (2009)
- Trinity Hall Alan King-Hamilton Bursary for Excellence (2009)
- Winner of the Cambridge University De Smith Mooting Competition (2009)
- Winner of the Trinity Hall Law Society Moot (2006 & 2009)
- Robert Stokell, Anna Laney, Daniel Shaw, and Athena Markides to lecture on advocacy at the University of Cambridge
- Athena Markides elected as Vice Chair of the Bar Council Young Barristers Committee
- BA (Hons), University of Cambridge (2005 – 2009)
- Erasmus Exhange, Universiteit Utrecht, Netherlands (2007 – 2008)
- LLM, University of Cambridge (2009 – 2010)
- BPTC, BPP Law School (2010 – 2011)
- European Circuit
Athena is also an elected member of the Bar Council and a member of the Young Bar Committee and EU Law Committee.