Athena Markides practices in all of Chambers’ core areas of work and has particular expertise in insurance, commercial litigation, construction and property damage. She has a particular interest in work with an international dimension.
Athena has considerable advocacy experience, regularly attending trials and interlocutory hearings on all three tracks and in both the High Court and county courts across the country. This has enhanced her drafting skills and enables her to advise on tactics and merits swiftly and succinctly where required.
Prior to pupillage, Athena gained valuable experience working in-house at a start-up providing online invoice discounting services. She is confident undertaking work involving complex financial products and facilities and collections operations. Working with institutional investors and with SMEs also honed Athena’s understanding of the needs of corporate clients and how best to deliver for them.
Athena has also worked as a paralegal at the Office of Communications (Ofcom). She undertook a wide variety of work including advising upon competition, procurement and public law issues and drafting documents for the Leveson Inquiry. She worked with people at all levels of seniority and across Ofcom’s departments, and continues to enjoy working as part of a team as well as individually.
Athena welcomes instructions from solicitors, in-house legal departments and qualified foreign lawyers.View full profile »
- Lincolns Inn BPTC Lord Denning Scholarship (2010)
- Lincolns Inn Hardwicke Entrance Award (2009)
- Cambridge European Trusts Scholarship (2009)
- Trinity Hall Dr Cooper Law Studentship (2009)
- Trinity Hall Alan King-Hamilton Bursary for Excellence (2009)
- Winner of the Cambridge University De Smith Mooting Competition (2009)
- Winner of the Trinity Hall Law Society Moot (2006 & 2009)
- Robert Stokell, Anna Laney, Daniel Shaw, and Athena Markides to lecture on advocacy at the University of Cambridge
- Athena Markides elected as Vice Chair of the Bar Council Young Barristers Committee
- BA (Hons), University of Cambridge (2005 – 2009)
- Erasmus Exhange, Universiteit Utrecht, Netherlands (2007 – 2008)
- LLM, University of Cambridge (2009 – 2010)
- BPTC, BPP Law School (2010 – 2011)
- European Circuit
Athena is also an elected member of the Bar Council and a member of the Young Bar Committee and EU Law Committee.