Anna has experience in a wide range of professional negligence disputes acting both for and against professionals.
Given the construction bias of her practice, Anna has particular expertise in claims involving Architects, Structural Engineers; Civil Engineers; M&E Engineers; Ground Investigation and Site Investigation Reports, Building Surveyors; and Quantity Surveyors. She also has experience of claims involving allegations against solicitors both construction related and involving matters of procedural default.
Examples of recent work include:
- Acting on behalf of Contract Administrator in relation to refurbishment of an exclusive restaurant where it was alleged that the works had suffered extensive delay and spiralling costs as a result of default on the Contract Administrator’s part.
- Acting on behalf of developer against novated architect where it is alleged the defective roof design resulted in water ingress necessitating wholesale replacement of the roofs to four office blocks.
- Acting on behalf of Contract Administrator in relation to the redevelopment of retail premises where it was alleged that the Contract Administrator had failed in its duties as regards the drawing up of contract documents and the assessment of the contractor’s entitlement to an extension of time, in consequence of which its employer was in breach of its obligations under the Agreement for Lease as between the employer and the ultimate landlord.
- Acting for homeowners against an architect who negligently issued a completion certificate having failed to identify a number of serious defects (both structural and architectural).
- Acting for a school in relation to the negligent design and procurement of works for s new cricket pavilion.
- Acting for a contractor in relation to a ground investigation report which failed to identify serious limitations in the ground conditions, which affected the piling design resulting in delay and additional costs where the structural engineers were also alleged to be at fault.
- Acting for a surveyor in relation to a Building Survey where it was alleged he had failed to identify structural defects.
- Upton McGougan Ltd v Bellway Homes Ltd  EWHC 1449 (TCC) – Considers the requirement for particulars of breach to be pleaded where professional negligence is alleged – relationship between statements of case and expert reports.
- Crown Office Chambers ranked in Chambers Global 2021 for Construction
- Anna Laney and Daniel Shaw to lecture at the Department of Engineering at the University of Cambridge
- Anna Laney to speak at the Young Bar Annual Workshop – The 21st Century Advocate
- Easy Money? Adjudication & Recovery of Party Costs
- Anna Laney writes article for ICES Construction Law Review 2014 entitled ‘Adjudication: Quick & Filthy’
- Adjudication: a Pioneering decision – by Anna Laney October 2013
“Extremely thorough and knowledgeable, wholly committed to the case at hand. Very impressive delivery in court and personable when dealing with instructing solicitors and clients”
Legal 500, 2021
“Anna is an exceptional construction barrister. She is highly responsive, pragmatic and commercial.”; “She is extremely knowledgeable regarding construction and insurance issues, and also great to deal with.”
Chambers & Partners, 2021
“Anna always gives clear and authoritative advice on case strategy. She has a calm and friendly demeanour.”
Legal 500, 2021
“She is incredibly knowledgeable in construction disputes. I have been very impressed with both Anna’s technical knowledge and legal advice.”; “She is outstanding with clients and really puts them at their ease, giving a firm impression that she is on their side.”
Chambers & Partners, 2020
“A highly regarded junior.”
Legal 500, 2020
“In court she was superb: in control and very attentive to the judge’s requirements.”
Chambers & Partners, 2019
“Enthusiastic, hard-working and a tremendous team player. She rolls up her sleeves and gets involved. She’s a very effective advocate…Proactive, commercial, clever and resourceful.”
Chambers & Partners, 2018
“A fabulous lawyer, who is great with clients and very responsive…Great at cutting out the waffle and putting matters in the right order to achieve results in hopeless cases.”
Legal 500, 2017
“She’s quick to identify the commercial issues”; “as well as being a robust advocate she often finds the small point of detail which turns the case.”
Chambers & Partners, 2016
“Her swift focus is unsettling for opponents and commands confidence in her submissions”; “she tailors her approach to the specific case with a view to achieve the best outcome for the client.”
Legal 500, 2016
“She is a team player who is robust and decisive and who provides very clear in advice.”
Chambers & Partners, 2015
“Expert across a range of fields, from ground works to engineering”; “a very good communicator who gives clear and straightforward legal advice.”
Legal 500, 2015