Anna is instructed regularly in relation to substantial disputes, particularly in the Middle East. As regards international arbitration, she has experience of working under both the ICC, IDRC and LCIA Arbitration Rules.
Examples of recent work include:
- Acting as junior on behalf of the generator in a dispute arising out of the construction of a power and water plant in Bahrain. Multi-billion dollar claims advanced, including claims for a reduction in the tariff (both water and power), extensive remedial works claimed by the off taker (as opposed to the generator), together with significant counterclaims for unpaid capacity charges. Significant claims in relation to delay, including the impact of the Arab Spring as certain embassies advise their nationals to leave the country.
- In respect of the same project, acting as lead counsel in respect of the claim “down the line” by the Generator against the Contractor, where the arguments need to be effectively reversed.
- Acting as junior in a claim for the equivalent of £500M arising out of a construction project in Dubai, where defective design (undertaken by independent consultants) caused significant delay costs when key parts of the structure proved to be unbuildable.
- Acting as Junior in relation to claim for US$50M arising out a construction project in Bulgaria. Claims relating to both allegedly defective works and significant delay / project cost overruns consequent upon unforeseen ground conditions.
- Acting as junior in claim for US$20M against sub-contractor for wrongful determination of contract relating to construction of a sports complex in Beirut on behalf of UK based main contractor. Delay issues included the use of the site by the army as a gun emplacement.
- Defending £250,000 claim arising out of alleged defective construction of domestic swimming pool hall with arguments over workmanship, design and claims for loss and expense.
- Acting for builder in a claim for £150,000 which arose out of the development / refurbishment of a private property, where issues over form of contract (counterparts did not correspond), claims for additional works, and allegations of defective work and delay.
- Abu Dhabi Investment Company & Others v H Clarkson Ltd & Others  EWHC 1267 (Comm) – Examines nature and extent of directors’ fiduciary duties, misrepresentation and mistake.
- Anna Laney and Daniel Shaw to lecture at the Department of Engineering at the University of Cambridge
- Crown Office Chambers ranked in Chambers Global 2018 for Construction and Energy & Natural Resources
- Anna Laney to speak at the Young Bar Annual Workshop – The 21st Century Advocate
- Easy Money? Adjudication & Recovery of Party Costs
- Anna Laney writes article for ICES Construction Law Review 2014 entitled ‘Adjudication: Quick & Filthy’
- Adjudication: a Pioneering decision – by Anna Laney October 2013
“Enthusiastic, hard-working and a tremendous team player. She rolls up her sleeves and gets involved. She’s a very effective advocate…Proactive, commercial, clever and resourceful.”
Chambers & Partners UK Bar
“A fabulous lawyer, who is great with clients and very responsive…Great at cutting out the waffle and putting matters in the right order to achieve results in hopeless cases.”
Legal 500, 2017
“She’s quick to identify the commercial issues”; “as well as being a robust advocate she often finds the small point of detail which turns the case.”
Chambers UK 2016
“Her swift focus is unsettling for opponents and commands confidence in her submissions”; “she tailors her approach to the specific case with a view to achieve the best outcome for the client.”
Legal 500 2016
“She is a team player who is robust and decisive and who provides very clear in advice.”
Chambers UK 2015
“Expert across a range of fields, from ground works to engineering”; “a very good communicator who gives clear and straightforward legal advice.”
Legal 500 2015
“Tremendously enthusiastic, she is an energetic, hard-working and effective advocate.”
Chambers UK 2014
“Sharp, authoritative and robust on her feet”; “a tremendous asset”; “a popular choice for construction related arbitrations.”
Legal 500 2014
“An absolutely excellent senior junior. She is always on top of things, has very good tactical sense, and if you see her name on the pleadings you know you’re in for a fight.”
"An absolutely excellent senior junior. She is always on top of things, has very good tactical sense, and if you see her name on the pleadings you know you're in for a fight." Chambers & Partners 2013
“A tremendous asset to any team”; “totally dedicated, utterly dependable, and someone in whom faith can safely be placed.”
Chambers & Partners 2012
“Sources were quick to highlight commerciality as a key attribute…a diligent and proactive senior junior who relates well to lay clients and has a great rapport with judges.”
Chambers & Partners 2011
“Excellent…well respected…no praise is high enough”
Legal 500 2011