Anna is instructed regularly in relation to substantial disputes, particularly in the Middle East. As regards international arbitration, she has experience of working under both the ICC, DIFC-LCIA, DIAC, and LCIA Arbitration Rules and ADCCAC Procedural Regulations.
Examples of recent work include:
- Acting on behalf of contractor in relation to a dispute arising out of the construction of a hotel in Abu Dhabi. Issues concerning scope of contractual obligations under the FIDIC Red Book Rules, instruction of additional works, independence of the Engineer as regards his decisions, causes of delay and disruption and valuation issues.
- Acting on behalf of contractor in relation to a new development in Dubai where the employer alleged that the piling works were defective, preventing the development from being undertaken. Arguments concerning the adequacy of the pile construction and responsibility for project delay.
- Acting as junior on behalf of the generator in a dispute arising out of the construction of a power and water plant in Bahrain. Multi-billion dollar claims advanced, including claims for a reduction in the tariff (both water and power), extensive remedial works claimed by the off taker (as opposed to the generator), together with significant counterclaims for unpaid capacity charges. Significant claims in relation to delay, including the impact of the Arab Spring as certain embassies advise their nationals to leave the country.
- In respect of the same project, acting as lead counsel in respect of the claim “down the line” by the Generator against the Contractor, where the arguments need to be effectively reversed.
- Acting as junior in a claim for the equivalent of £500M arising out of a construction project in Dubai, where defective design (undertaken by independent consultants) caused significant delay costs when key parts of the structure proved to be unbuildable.
- Acting as Junior in relation to claim for US$50M arising out a construction project in Bulgaria. Claims relating to both allegedly defective works and significant delay / project cost overruns consequent upon unforeseen ground conditions.
- Acting as junior in claim for US$20M against sub-contractor for wrongful determination of contract relating to construction of a sports complex in Beirut on behalf of UK based main contractor. Delay issues included the use of the site by the army as a gun emplacement.
Selected CasesView full profile »
- Construction Insurance and UK Construction Contracts published by Roger ter Haar QC and Anna Laney
- Crown Office Chambers ranked in Chambers Global 2021 for Construction
- Anna Laney to speak at the Young Bar Annual Workshop – The 21st Century Advocate
- Easy Money? Adjudication & Recovery of Party Costs
- Anna Laney writes article for ICES Construction Law Review 2014 entitled ‘Adjudication: Quick & Filthy’
- Adjudication: a Pioneering decision – by Anna Laney October 2013
“Extremely thorough and knowledgeable, wholly committed to the case at hand. Very impressive delivery in court and personable when dealing with instructing solicitors and clients”
Legal 500, 2021
“Anna is an exceptional construction barrister. She is highly responsive, pragmatic and commercial.”; “She is extremely knowledgeable regarding construction and insurance issues, and also great to deal with.”
Chambers & Partners, 2021
“Anna always gives clear and authoritative advice on case strategy. She has a calm and friendly demeanour.”
Legal 500, 2021
“She is incredibly knowledgeable in construction disputes. I have been very impressed with both Anna’s technical knowledge and legal advice.”; “She is outstanding with clients and really puts them at their ease, giving a firm impression that she is on their side.”
Chambers & Partners, 2020
“A highly regarded junior.”
Legal 500, 2020
“In court she was superb: in control and very attentive to the judge’s requirements.”
Chambers & Partners, 2019
“Enthusiastic, hard-working and a tremendous team player. She rolls up her sleeves and gets involved. She’s a very effective advocate…Proactive, commercial, clever and resourceful.”
Chambers & Partners, 2018
“A fabulous lawyer, who is great with clients and very responsive…Great at cutting out the waffle and putting matters in the right order to achieve results in hopeless cases.”
Legal 500, 2017
“She’s quick to identify the commercial issues”; “as well as being a robust advocate she often finds the small point of detail which turns the case.”
Chambers & Partners, 2016
“Her swift focus is unsettling for opponents and commands confidence in her submissions”; “she tailors her approach to the specific case with a view to achieve the best outcome for the client.”
Legal 500, 2016
“She is a team player who is robust and decisive and who provides very clear in advice.”
Chambers & Partners, 2015
“Expert across a range of fields, from ground works to engineering”; “a very good communicator who gives clear and straightforward legal advice.”
Legal 500, 2015