Energy & Natural Resources
Anna has a specialist practice concerning energy production, including power and water plants, wind farms, solar farms and biomass plants. She enjoys the technical challenges that arises, in particular the range of expert evidence that it is necessary to master to understand the minutiae of the plants and their operation.
Examples of recent work include:
- Acting for generator in respect of a project for the construction of a Power and Water Plant in Bahrain where allegations of defective/non-compliant plant which gave rise to claims by the off taker for remedial works and/o tariff reductions. Counterclaims centred on the off takers failure to act with good faith. She is also instructed in the claim by the Generator against the contractor (see Arbitration).
- Acting for sub-contractor in relation to pipework installation at a twin-fuel biomass plant.
- Acting for contractor in relation to claim against sub-contractor for defective ‘string’ work at a solar farm.
- Acting for sub-contractor in relation to allegations of defective work in relation to off-shore turbine works at a wind farm.
Selected CasesView full profile »
- Anna Laney and Daniel Shaw to lecture at the Department of Engineering at the University of Cambridge
- Crown Office Chambers ranked in Chambers Global 2018 for Construction and Energy & Natural Resources
- Anna Laney to speak at the Young Bar Annual Workshop – The 21st Century Advocate
- Easy Money? Adjudication & Recovery of Party Costs
- Anna Laney writes article for ICES Construction Law Review 2014 entitled ‘Adjudication: Quick & Filthy’
- Adjudication: a Pioneering decision – by Anna Laney October 2013
“Enthusiastic, hard-working and a tremendous team player. She rolls up her sleeves and gets involved. She’s a very effective advocate…Proactive, commercial, clever and resourceful.”
Chambers & Partners UK Bar
“A fabulous lawyer, who is great with clients and very responsive…Great at cutting out the waffle and putting matters in the right order to achieve results in hopeless cases.”
Legal 500, 2017
“She’s quick to identify the commercial issues”; “as well as being a robust advocate she often finds the small point of detail which turns the case.”
Chambers UK 2016
“Her swift focus is unsettling for opponents and commands confidence in her submissions”; “she tailors her approach to the specific case with a view to achieve the best outcome for the client.”
Legal 500 2016
“She is a team player who is robust and decisive and who provides very clear in advice.”
Chambers UK 2015
“Expert across a range of fields, from ground works to engineering”; “a very good communicator who gives clear and straightforward legal advice.”
Legal 500 2015
“Tremendously enthusiastic, she is an energetic, hard-working and effective advocate.”
Chambers UK 2014
“Sharp, authoritative and robust on her feet”; “a tremendous asset”; “a popular choice for construction related arbitrations.”
Legal 500 2014
“An absolutely excellent senior junior. She is always on top of things, has very good tactical sense, and if you see her name on the pleadings you know you’re in for a fight.”
"An absolutely excellent senior junior. She is always on top of things, has very good tactical sense, and if you see her name on the pleadings you know you're in for a fight." Chambers & Partners 2013
“A tremendous asset to any team”; “totally dedicated, utterly dependable, and someone in whom faith can safely be placed.”
Chambers & Partners 2012
“Sources were quick to highlight commerciality as a key attribute…a diligent and proactive senior junior who relates well to lay clients and has a great rapport with judges.”
Chambers & Partners 2011
“Excellent…well respected…no praise is high enough”
Legal 500 2011