Andrew Smith KC has over 30 years of experience of litigation in courts at all levels. He has practised at the Scottish Bar (call 1988, silk 2002) and since 2006 at the English Bar. He took silk in England in 2016 after establishing a busy and successful practice in England as well as Scotland. Andrew has extensive trial and appellate experience in all courts.
He has a wealth of court experience, including ten appearances in the Supreme Court as leader, and several in the House of Lords and Privy Council previously. He has represented several clients in applications to the European Court of Human Rights. He has appeared at all levels of court in both Scotland and England.
His practice is wide, but he has particular expertise and interest in commercial litigation, insurance, professional negligence and product liability (including metal to metal hips, PIP implants, Vioxx and Celebrex litigation, VW emissions claims)
He has been rated in the legal directories for several categories (including commercial litigation and professional regulation) and praised in the directories for his attention to detail, meticulous preparation and ability to innovate.
Andrew obtained a qualification in Arbitration from Aberdeen University in 2017, and is a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. He has appeared in arbitration hearings, and regularly provides advice to clients on contractual matters with a view to protecting their position in arbitration issues. In 2018, he attended the Southampton University Maritime Law Short Course providing him with a solid grounding on matters of international trade and shipping law, including insurance issues and jurisdiction questions.
He acts for many clients on issues of international trade and contract.
- Andrew Smith QC to join Ogden Tables working party
- Habib Khan (Respondent) v General Pharmaceutical Council (Appellant) (Scotland)
- Barrister (Gray’s Inn) (2006 – date)
- Member of the Faculty of Advocates
- Ad Hoc Advocate Depute (1995 – date)
- Ll.B (Hons) (Dundee) (1985)
- Dip.LP (Dundee) (1986)
- Diploma in Advanced Legal Studies (Edinburgh) (1987)
- Languages: Basic French
- Diploma in Arbitration, Aberdeen University (2017)
- Certificate in Maritime Law (Southampton University) (2018)
- Member of the Faculty of Advocates’ Personal Injury Law Group
- Member of the Professional Negligence Bar Association
- Member of the Faculty of Advocates Council (2006 – 2009)
- Member of Gray’s Inn, London (2006 – date)
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators