Criminal Regulatory & Environmental
Health & Safety
Alice defends cases brought by the Crown, the Health and Safety Executive and local authorities arising out of fatal and other serious accidents. She has wide experience of dealing with both Magistrates and Crown Court trials. She has conducted innumerable jury trials, is adept at legal argument and has comprehensive knowledge of the Criminal Procedure Rules.
Successful cases have been dealt with in a wide range of industries and include issues of working at height, warehousing and logistics; waste management and recycling; construction and demolition as well as gas and electrical safety; residential care; fire safety; manufacturing and technology and concerns with asbestos.
She is very experienced in dealing with cases where companies are considered to be large and very large organisations, for the purposes of the Sentencing Guidelines regime, including dealing with issues of linked and parent organisations.
She regularly advises on issues as to costs and challenges to invoices issued under the HSE Fee for Intervention (FII) scheme.
She is an expert on the CDM 2017 and she regularly lectures on this topic. She is the author of the Chapter on CDM 2017 in the legal text Construction Insurance and UK Construction Contracts (Oxford University Press).
Regulatory & Consumer Law
Alice has experience of a wide range of regulatory and consumer work including waste disposal, fire safety, food safety, consumer protection and building regulations. She is a contributing editor to the legal text Construction Insurance and UK Construction Contracts and conducts seminars on The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations (CDM) 2015.
She is also regularly instructed in cases dealing with issues of misrepresentations in advertising, trade descriptions and trade marking. She is also instructed in inquests in this field.
Alice is very experienced in dealing with the full range of driving offences. She is regularly instructed in cases of dangerous driving, causing death by dangerous driving, careless driving and causing death by careless driving. She is available to advise at any stage of proceedings.
She has recently secured the acquittal of a white van driver for an offence of death by careless driving at St Alban’s Crown Court.
Health & Safety
- Represented individual on Gross Negligence Manslaughter (GNM) and s7 charges at 6 week trial with 7 defendants both corporate and individual at the Central Criminal Court , led by Simon Antrobus QC. Sucessfully secured acquittal on the GNM charge and a non-custodial sentence in respect of the s7 offence.
- Represented an NHS Trust prosecuted after a patient sustained serious injuries whilst in their care. Secured the discontinuance of the case against the NHS Trust before reaching trial.
- Represented a very large care home organisation. Complex issues in relation to linked organisations and the turnover to be taken into consideration for sentencing. Sucessfully secured a low level fine despite size of the organisation and aggravating factors.
- Represented a large construction company after an accident left an employee seriously injured. Ensured the matter was dealt with in the Magistrates Court and secured a moderate fine, despite the aggravating features.
- Junior counsel for a fire fighter (watch commander) charged with 4 counts of gross negligence manslaughter, after 4 fire fighters died fighting a fire in Warwickshire. Defendant was found not guilty on all counts after a 5 week trial.
- Represented a large manufacturer charged with multiple regulatory offences over a sustained period of time. Secured a moderate fine.
- Co-defended with Simon Antrobus QC where Company and Company directors jointly charged. The defendant Company was charged with s2 HSWA 1974 and breaches of the Working at Height Regulations and their directors were charged as individuals under s37 of the HSWA 1974. Secured the acceptance of pleas to the s2 offences only, and the individual prosecutions were dropped.
Regulatory & Consumer Law
- Represented car dealership accused of making false representations in advertising and secured the discontinuance of the case through successful legal argument at the preliminary hearing.
- Represented a Town Council in an inquest where, as the supplier and operator of a car park barrier which had crushed a man to death, it was suggested that the Town Council was responsible.
- Represented a Company accused of dangerously modifying/customising a large piece of machinery/equipment that caused serious injury to an employee.
- The Grenfell Tower Inquiry
- Crown Office Chambers wins Health & Safety Set of the Year at the Bar Awards 2017
- Princess Royal Scholar, Inner Temple
- BVC, BPP University
- MA (Hons), Edinburgh University
“poise and confidence beyond her years”
Chambers and Partners 2018
“a brilliant Junior who is focused, tenacious and attentive to detail”
Legal 500 2018
“An outstanding junior, who leaves no stone unturned”
Legal 500 2017