Alex handles all aspects of personal injury work for both claimants and defendants. He is instructed where there are difficult causation or quantification issues including competing medical causes (negligent and non-negligent). He often acts where his expertise in clinical negligence, product liability and property damage are relevant.
He has particular experience of fatal accident claims including cases where the deceased are very high earners and where the cases have an international element. He has reputation for taking a fair but rigorous approach to the assessment of cases.
Alex was nominated for Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence ‘Silk of the Year’ for the Legal 500 Awards 2017
- EG v Groupama (2018) – The Claimant advances a claim for over 90 million euros in this fatal road traffic accident claim. The accident occurred in France when a tyre on a lorry failed. The case gives rise to issues of relevant French law, product liability and quantification.
- CDE v FGH (2018) – The Claimant was very severely injury in a road traffic accident (road rage). He had significant behavioural difficulties as well as severe physical difficulties. The parties took an unusual but constructive approach in setting up a trial independent living. The failure of that trial gave a firm basis on which a proper assessment of the case could be made. The case was compromised.
- AXW v Boultons of Shropshire (2018) – The Claimant was injured in a road traffic accident as an infant but the consequences of his brain injury only became apparent in his late teens. The case was complicated by the Claimant’s residence in Hong Kong which gave rise to issues of the appropriate local quantification using Hong Kong experts and included argument over the relevant discount rate. The case was compromised.
- The Hope Litigation – Three generations of the same family were injured / killed when a bus struck then as they were walking on a pavement in South London. Alex acted for the Defendant and steered the matter to settlement with five claimants, including secondary victims, in a series of round table meetings.
- Success in Metal-on-Metal hip group litigation
- Crown Office Chambers nominated as Set of the year for Construction and Energy: Legal 500 UK Awards 2017
- MA (Oxon)
“Really at the top of his game – his advocacy is extremely good and he has a really good commercial head on him.” “A first-class advocate who pays great attention to detail.”
Chambers & Partners 2020
“Superbly intelligent, with an incredible insight and lightning fast responses. “
Legal 500 2020
“He’s really a superb advocate; he’s calm, unflappable and terribly charismatic…great intellect…charming, civilised and fair…first-rate operator”
Chambers and Partners 2019
“A great advocate who knows his stuff…first-class advocate, one of the leading silks in the product liability field”
Legal 500 2019
“A barrister of great intellect who has a large caseload of complex high-value matters…very experienced, approachable and good with clients…provides clear, realistic advice…meticulous preparation…a formidable advocate…very robust…excellent technical skills…dominant force at the negotiating table”
Chambers and Partners 2018
“A passionate advocate who communicates persuasively”
Legal 500 2018
Alex was nominated for Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence ‘Silk of the Year’
Legal 500 2017