Alex handles all aspects of personal injury work for both claimants and defendants. He is instructed where there are difficult causation or quantification issues including competing medical causes (negligent and non-negligent). He often acts where his expertise in clinical negligence, product liability, group litigation and property damage are relevant.
He has particular experience of fatal accident claims including cases where the deceased are very high earners and where the cases have an international element. He has reputation for taking a fair but rigorous approach to the assessment of cases.
Alex advises on related insurances issues arising from personal injury cases especially where there are related product liability or international elements.
Alex is ranked as a leading silk in both Chambers and Partners and the Legal 500. He was nominated as Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence ‘Silk of the Year’ by the Legal 500 in 2017.
- The Grenfell Tower Litigation (2022) – Alex is retained in relation to civil claims arising out of the Grenfell Tower It is anticipated that in the region of 1,000 claims will be advanced for personal injuries.
- AA v Groupama (2019) – The Claimant advanced a claim for 200 million euros in this fatal road traffic accident claim. The accident occurred in France when a tyre on a lorry failed. The matter was The case gave rise to issues of relevant French law, product liability and quantification.
- CDE v FGH (2018) – The Claimant was very severely injured in a road traffic accident (road rage). He had significant behavioural difficulties as well as severe physical difficulties. The parties took an unusual but constructive approach in setting up a trial independent living. The failure of that trial gave a firm basis on which a proper assessment of the case could be made. The case was
- AXW v Boultons of Shropshire (2018) – The Claimant was injured in a road traffic accident as an infant but the consequences of his brain injury only became apparent in his late teens. The case was complicated by the Claimant’s residence in Hong Kong which gave rise to issues of the appropriate local quantification using Hong Kong experts and included argument over the relevant discount rate. The case was compromised.
- The Hope Litigation – Three generations of the same family were injured / killed when a bus struck then as they were walking on a pavement in South London. Alex acted for the Defendant and steered the matter to settlement with five claimants, including secondary victims, in a series of round table meetings.
- The Legal 500 UK Bar Awards 2022 Nominations
- Supreme Court success for Alex Antelme QC and David Myhill
- MA (Oxon)
“Alexander is a master of detail. He is very charming and easy to work with on high-value claims.” “He is very strong on technical issues whilst at the same time being able to explain the legal issues in a clear and concise fashion, which makes him very strong on his feet and in conference.” “Alexander is an excellent barrister. He is very commercial and takes a very client-friendly approach.”
Chambers & Partners, 2023
‘Super responsive, utterly charming to work with, a sentiment shared by the clients ‘ ‘An extremely skillful, powerful and impressive advocate. Goes above and beyond to get to grips with complexities of a case.’ ‘Alex has impressive advocacy skills and is extremely talented. He is very clever and makes a complex issue sound very simple.’ ‘Real attention-to-detail, excellent pleadings and written advice. A polished advocate with an ample charm which hides a tough negotiator.’
Legal 500, 2023
“A fantastic advocate – he is really amazing, very slick, sharp and has the ear of the court.” “He has an absolute eye for detail, is extremely no-nonsense and gets very good results. His opinion is very much respected.”
Chambers & Partners, 2022
“A living legend of product liability practice; extremely sharp, sees bigger picture, speaks with authority and technical brilliance.”
Legal 500, 2022
“A very affable silk with a rapier-like intelligence and the willingness to fight points other QCs might not want to take on.”
Legal 500, 2021
“Detailed and thorough analysis of complex legal and factual issues. Tremendous knowledge of personal injury and product liability issues.”
Legal 500, 2021
“A remarkably astute, highly-experienced and technically brilliant QC whose dedication, focus and legal precision is exemplary.”
Legal 500, 2021
“A very measured, sensible and effective advocate who inspires confidence.”; “A very persuasive advocate with great tactical acumen.”; “His cross-examination of experts is very good indeed.”
Chambers & Partners, 2021
“Really at the top of his game – his advocacy is extremely good and he has a really good commercial head on him.” “A first-class advocate who pays great attention to detail.”
Chambers & Partners, 2020
“Superbly intelligent, with an incredible insight and lightning fast responses. “
Legal 500, 2020
“He’s really a superb advocate; he’s calm, unflappable and terribly charismatic…great intellect…charming, civilised and fair…first-rate operator”
Chambers & Partners, 2019
“A great advocate who knows his stuff…first-class advocate, one of the leading silks in the product liability field”
Legal 500, 2019