Alex is retained in disputes or to advise generally on insurance issues particularly where the underlying subject matter involves one or more of his other specialties (product liability, property damage, group actions, personal injury or clinical negligence). Recent issues include coverage, aggregation, multiple insurance cover, fraud/criminality and the impact of statutory provisions.
- US Class Action – Alex advised UK insurers on issues of coverage including aggregation in relation to a US class action for personal injuries arising out of a medical product.
- Equestrian accident – Alex advised on the operation of competing policies arising out catastrophic injuries sustained by a child when kicked by a horse.
- Alexander Forbes Europe Limited v SBJ Limited – Alex acted for the Claimants in their successful action against professional indemnity insurance brokers. Issues included the need to notify multiple claims arising out of pension misselling in the 1990s rather than circumstances of a potential block claim.
- Banque Bruxelles Lambert v Zurich Insurance Company Limited – Alex was a member of a team of counsel acting for Defendant insurers against BBL who sought an indemnity following the John D Wood litigation. Insurers avoided on the basis of fraud.
- The Wickens Litigation – Alex acted for a defendant in the extensive litigation arising out of the collapse of a building in the South of England in which 5 people were killed. He was initially retained to deal with insurance issues but ultimately appeared at trial of the substantive professional negligence issues.
- The Legal 500 UK Bar Awards 2022 Nominations
- Supreme Court success for Alex Antelme QC and David Myhill
- MA (Oxon)
“Alexander is a master of detail. He is very charming and easy to work with on high-value claims.” “He is very strong on technical issues whilst at the same time being able to explain the legal issues in a clear and concise fashion, which makes him very strong on his feet and in conference.” “Alexander is an excellent barrister. He is very commercial and takes a very client-friendly approach.”
Chambers & Partners, 2023
‘Super responsive, utterly charming to work with, a sentiment shared by the clients ‘ ‘An extremely skillful, powerful and impressive advocate. Goes above and beyond to get to grips with complexities of a case.’ ‘Alex has impressive advocacy skills and is extremely talented. He is very clever and makes a complex issue sound very simple.’ ‘Real attention-to-detail, excellent pleadings and written advice. A polished advocate with an ample charm which hides a tough negotiator.’
Legal 500, 2023
“A fantastic advocate – he is really amazing, very slick, sharp and has the ear of the court.” “He has an absolute eye for detail, is extremely no-nonsense and gets very good results. His opinion is very much respected.”
Chambers & Partners, 2022
“A living legend of product liability practice; extremely sharp, sees bigger picture, speaks with authority and technical brilliance.”
Legal 500, 2022
“A very affable silk with a rapier-like intelligence and the willingness to fight points other QCs might not want to take on.”
Legal 500, 2021
“Detailed and thorough analysis of complex legal and factual issues. Tremendous knowledge of personal injury and product liability issues.”
Legal 500, 2021
“A remarkably astute, highly-experienced and technically brilliant QC whose dedication, focus and legal precision is exemplary.”
Legal 500, 2021
“A very measured, sensible and effective advocate who inspires confidence.”; “A very persuasive advocate with great tactical acumen.”; “His cross-examination of experts is very good indeed.”
Chambers & Partners, 2021
“Really at the top of his game – his advocacy is extremely good and he has a really good commercial head on him.” “A first-class advocate who pays great attention to detail.”
Chambers & Partners, 2020
“Superbly intelligent, with an incredible insight and lightning fast responses. “
Legal 500, 2020
“He’s really a superb advocate; he’s calm, unflappable and terribly charismatic…great intellect…charming, civilised and fair…first-rate operator”
Chambers & Partners, 2019
“A great advocate who knows his stuff…first-class advocate, one of the leading silks in the product liability field”
Legal 500, 2019